Sunday, March 25, 2007

 

Charnwood Marathon; Event Report

Well, yesterday was the Charnwood Marathon; a 26 mile walk from Quorn. Despite feeling so poorly earlier on in the week, I particularly wanted to do this one as it’s so local for me- only a 15 minute drive.

Luckily I didn’t feel too bad yesterday morning, and had a bowl of porridge in bed (a girl’s gotta have some luxuries!!) before getting to the venue for 7:30. Us walkers had an 8am start and the runners were off at 9am.

Bang on 8am we were sent on our way by the town crier in full regalia. We were quite lucky; the weather reports had said rain, but although it was dark and misty, we never had more than slight drizzle.

Looking towards Broombriggs Hill

We set off down farm tracks to the village of Woodhouse Eaves, before the first climb of the day; Broombriggs Hill, where the self clip check point was sighted. (We each had a tally card, and had it punched at each check point. At the self clip points, there is a clipper for us to punch our own cards to show we haven’t cheated!) It was high enough to be misty at the top. I was feeling really demoralised at this point as everybody seemed to be passing me and my legs were already starting to ache!

A second climb to the top of Beacon Hill (so called as it was one of the sites of the series of bonfires let across England to signal the approach of the Spanish Armada) brought us to the trig point on the top, which I touched for luck. Our first proper check point, and cake, was nearby and, as I was overtaken by yet more people, figured my cold must be really slowing me down!
Blackbrook Reservoir
We walked close enough to the M1 motorway to clearly see the cars and lorries frantically racing along, and the first of the runners came by. Our route went under the M1 and up another hill to Lubcloud farm. After a bit of a road walk, we crossed over the reservoir and climbed to Mount St Bernards Abbey and a drink stop… and more cake!
Mount St Bernards Abbey

We kept climbing; up and over the Charnwood hills, and yet more walkers overtook me. I was convinced I was going to be last and was slowing up, so tried to push my aching legs into some kind of action! The biggest climb of the day brought us to the half way stage; Bardon Hill. This is the official highest point in Leicestershire, but unfortunately it has been extensively quarried, so the view from the top mainly looks out over the quarry and an industrial estate, which is a crying shame. The nice kind(?) organisers had put a self clip point right at the trig point at the summit!

Bardon Hill; walkers can be seen at the self clip point on the summit

After this, it was more or less downhill to the next proper check point at the village of Copt Oak. There were chairs (bliss) cheese rolls (double bliss) and… coffee… (double, double bliss!) There were a few bods around so I decided to rest up for a few minutes. I had no idea of the time as I don’t tend to wear a watch on these walks, but decided I’d rather not know!!

I reluctantly left the checkpoint as it was freezing; really icy wind, I had to stop and pull my gloves on. Unfortunately, although they are warm, they are quite bulky so I had the dexterity of an arthritic gorilla. We had a bit of road walking and the last of the runners went by. As we neared Newtown Linford, I actually started to gain on a couple of guys.

The last big climb was to the highest point of Bradgate Park; The Old John tower before dropping down to the checkpoint at the other side of the park. Now, it is possible to walk through on a flat, tarmac road… except for the fact that- yep- there was a self clip on the Old John so cheating was not really an option!

I had another welcome coffee at the last checkpoint, at 21 miles. There were still other people around, and I was cheered to hear that, not only were there still around 32 people to come through, 2 had only just left Copt Oak. I wasn’t going to be last!!

It was quite drizzly now, and my feet were starting to rub blisters, but we were on the last stretch. I actually overtook somebody, and then the two lads I’d been following. The last stretch, a path along the river, always seems endless when you’re tired and aching, but I finally reach Quorn and walked back through the village to the starting point at the Village Hall.

And had quite a shock!! It wasn’t quite 4pm… which meant I’d actually done the 26 miles in 7 hours 56 minutes, which is quite fast for me!! So, all the time I thought I was slowing up, I wasn’t! I reckon this event attracts a fast field. Nice surprise though!

After some lovely zingy red pepper and Chile soup, with hot cross bun to follow (well, it is nearly Easter!) I went home to soak my blisters. I have got to get me some comfy shoes!!

All in all, good walk, quite hilly, I reckon we visited all the climbs in Leicestershire! I am aching a fair bit today. Also got a cough, which I am hoping amounts to nothing. Feeling tired too- could really do with a day off work tomorrow!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
hi steph - i just linked back to your post from my report of today's event.
http://yeahyeahyeahyeah-yeah.blogspot.com/2010/03/charnwood-marathon-2010.html
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?