Tuesday, September 20, 2011

 

The Ponton Plod- Event Report

I haven't done a proper long walk since the Malvern Midsummer Marathon, but the Ponton Plod is kind of a must-do for me- it's local, a great route and a really friendly event, plus the sun always shines!!

So I drove towards the sleepy village of Great Ponton, parked up in the field used for the event and treated myself to toast and marmalade after registering. The organiser, Stuart, said that a shower had been forecast for around 11am but all we had were a few spots of rain which didn't come to anything- it was a glorious warm sunny day!

The 27 and 17 milers set off at 8:30am, with the 12 milers setting off an hour later. I remeber taking part in the inaugural Ponton Plod, and it's certainly grown since then, I think the introduction of shorter options was a wise move as it has made the event appeal to local running clubs.

As we walked along the bridleway and through the golf course, it struck me that looking at the trees it is definitely Autumn now;



                                          The Obelisk

It was here that the two routes split, the longer route going through the Stoke Rochford Estate and through the village of Stoke Rochford, before heading across fields to Skillington. As I haven't done this distance for some time, and have been having a few knee twinges I decided to take it nice and steady. I walked for a while with a chap called John, but he was much faster than me. He dropped his jumper though, and the couple behind me picked it up and handed it in- I must have walked straight past it without seeing it, but I think I was texting at the time!!


Once through Skillington I followed the track to Buckminster Water Tower and the first checkpoint (and cake!!) The couple behind me overtook and said that they remembered me from last year (everyone said that... I must be quite notorious!) I didn't take too many photos cos I have already taken a load over the years so check back over previous reports if you want to see more.

The next part of the route follows fields before climbing steadily to the village of Sproxton, I was really warm by now and although we had felt a few drops of rain and saw ominous looking clouds throughout the day, it stayed dry, sunny and warm.

                                           Open Views Near Sproxton

There was more field walking to the village of Saltby. The terrain is a little challenging around here as there are some quite rutted fields and tracks, so I had to watch my ankles as I'm not too sure-footed at the best of times. Another advantage to doing this walk each year is that I know the route pretty well so are (theoretically) less likely to get lost!

After Saltby the route crosses a wide open field and passes between two ponds, before traversing several more fields via some fairly uneven paths. These lead to one of the most rutted paths in the whole area, and the one I always dread!

                                         Autumn Colours



                                                    The Rutted Track!

Sadly I think it is the victim of motorbiking activity, which of course spoils it for anyone else who wants to use it...

After this it's an easy gradual descent to Croxton Kerrial and the half way point. I passed a chap who was deliberating which way to go, so pointed him in the right direction. He said that some folks had gone the wrong way; I noticed the couple who had passed me at the first checkpoint so stood there waving madly at them as they were out of shouting range. As I walked on I could see them coming back towards us so knew they'd be ok.

The half way checkpoint is always a welcome sight and as usual they had done us proud with lovely sandwiches, cakes and coffee. It was a pleasure to see Sheila waiting to greet the walkers in with a warm welcome as she has done every year I've done it.

It was a bit of a wrench to leave, but I heaved myself up and out the door... and out of the village and across the fields. Although much of this walk is in Lincolnshire there are a fair few hills to negotiate!

                                          Croxton Kerrial Church


                                          Descending To The Woods


After negotiating a ploughed field, I spotted some huge boulders near the path, some of which appeared to have fossils in them so stopped for a closer look;


The next part of the route is fairly straightforwards, passing through Harston and following the road to Sewstern Lane and the cycle track. I passed a couple of walkers quite happily sitting having lunch in the bus shelter.

                                          Railway Bridge


There's a bit of a road walk into Denton, but as it's downhill I jogged it to get it over with. Denton is a pretty village, but quite busy traffic wise.

The route passes Denton Reservoir; it started to get a bit cloudy at this point but luckily stayed dry!

                                          Looking A Bit Ominous!!

                                          Denton Reservoir

                                        
The reservoir water levels were looking a little low, but there were loads of water birds around- I spotted three cormorants sitting on a branch but they were too far away for me to get a good photo.

A track led up the the A607, but I was rather disappointed to see that someone had dumped a couple of large piles of building rubble right across it.

I had another coffee at the next checkpoint at Harlaxton, and my favourite challenge walk dish of cold rice pudding! I felt I needed my strength for the big hill I knew was coming next...

After the steep hill there is a bit of a road walk along a quiet road, I passed a chap who was suffering from blisters and seemed to be in a bit of pain but said that he intended to just take his time.

                                          Hungerton Hall

On leaving the road the route passes the impressive Hungerton Hall, and crosses a picturesque valley to reach the last checkpoint at the exposed village of Wyville. The lady there said that she thought there were more ladies doing the long route than men and said that it was a victory for the ladies!

My legs were aching by now, but this part of the route is really pretty, following a lovely valley, so it took my mind off my aches and pains;

                                          Pretty Countryside

After some more quiet road walking, there are just some bridleways to negotiate. I spotted this sign on a gate- lucky horse eh!!

                                          Looking Towards The A1

I could hear the A1 for quite a while before I could see it, luckily there is a footbridge over it which saves a mad dash on tired legs! I finished in 8 hours 23 minutes; although that's slower than last year I'm quite pleased as I took it steady and stopped to have coffee/ take photos.

The food at the end is lovely- I had the apple and parsnip soup which was absolutely delicious- and apple pie and custard for pudding- all hand made! It struck me how much better value these challenge walks are than road races... enter a road race and you can pay £30- £40 for the priviledge of running on tarmac for an hour or so, and being handed a cup of cold water with a medal at the end if you're lucky, but for £11 you can walk in the countryside all day, be fed sandwiches and cake, have a cooked meal at the end and the profits go to a good cause- in this case Besso Childrens' Home in India.

As I was driving home the heavens opened and it poured which showed an uncharacteristic good timing on behalf of the weather as I understand everyone had finished! Another great day out, I'd definitely recommend the Ponton Plod, it's a great event, well organised and really friendly.

Labels:


Comments:
I stumbled upon your blog today and Found it inspiring!! I am a new follower!!

Id love it if you would come check me out over at http://karmakristin.blogspot.com/
 
Hi Steph,

Looks like a good event, very much in the Belvoir or Charnwood mode.

May try it one of these days.

What are your next planned events ?

I've only got around 5 left this year, but have booked my Travelodge in anticipation of Charnwood next year.
 
Hi Ross

The Ponton Plod is a great event, very similar type of scenery to the Belvoir but much less mud. Well worth a try.

I have just booked the Spires and Steeples, got an event in Wales in November but that's about it so far- what events are you doing?

I'd like do Charnwood next year- I've missed it for the past few years and it's another fairly local one.
 
Hi KarmaKristin, thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like the blog! I have been reading yours, are those your dogs they are lovely!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?