Monday, December 10, 2007

 

Puppies And Turkeys!!

Jake has landed!! He is very very cute, and very lively... Gemma is a little unsure but is coming round slowly. Couldn't resist posting a couple of pictures of him!



I decided to give the Turkey Trot a go in the end, so at 10:15am I found myself lining up with about 7,999 other runners at the start. I had been a bit concerned about the weather as it was atrocious Saturday and was pouring Sunday when I woke up. Luckily the rain stopped and held off during the run, although there was quite a lot of surface water on the roads.
This is a very popular event and always fills up fast. A few folks had santa hats on and one of two were dressed up- a couple of santas, a santa scooby doo and, oddly enough, a banana. I saw one chap with artificial lower limbs which was really impressive, especially as he ran quicker than I did!
It was freezing, standing at the start, so I tried to warm up and stretch a bit. Several runners were utilising somebodies garden wall, and were watched rather worriedly by the owner from the warmth and safety of indoors. Then we were off, and running through Keyworth.
The first few miles were downhill, and I tried to concentrate on warming up (which I did quickly) and settling into a stride. I overtook a few folks, including Mr Santa Scooby Doo; the event was very well marshalled at road junctions, and the marshalls were quick to give encouragement. After a mile, the route became rather 'undulating' with a number of up and downs. There was one particularly nasty two part climb which seemed to go on for ever. Quite a few folk were walking it but, being a stubborn sort of soul, decided that if I was going to do it I was going to run every step of the way, so kept jogging even though my lungs felt like they were bursting and my legs felt like lead.
This was followed by a welcome descent to the village of Wysall and our first water point. I find that as I am very warm and the water is very cold, it is quite a shock to the system!
Miles 5 and 6 came and went, quite uneventfully only it became a case of follow the empty gel sachets. Yes, I know these are beneficial but I can't help feeling that folk who use them should take the responsibility of taking the empty sachets away with them! I overtook a few folk, especially uphill, and a few folk overtook me.
There was another climb up to 7 miles, quite a lot more folk were walking but I managed to keep running still. I felt ok at this point, legs were starting to feel tired but nothing major. There was another water point at Willoughby-On-The-Wolds and I tried to establish a routine of jogging gently for a few paces whilst drinking but it wasn't entirely successful. I found myself leapfrogging positions with a couple of ladies- I'd pass them on the climbs and they would go by again on the flat, but I eventually left them behind (god knows how!)
Running into Widmerpool and through the 8 and 9 mile markers, the route was quite flat which was very welcome. However, once through the village we took a right turn and started to climb again. By 10 miles I decided I'd be very glad to finish as my legs were starting to feel rather heavy, and there was even more climbing to come to the 11 mile marker.
The last 2 miles were tough as I felt knackered, and my legs felt really heavy- I felt I could have done with a gel sachet myself. I did manage to keep running though, and didn't have to resort to walking at all. Luckily it was downhill for a good stretch, past the 12 mile marker. Funny how many marshalls throughout the race kept telling me 'it's all downhill from here'. Liars. Unless, of course, they weren't talking about the actual course!
The last half mile was uphill which was a killer! There were little comments on each of the mile markers, such as 'Drinks ahead', 'Engage Low Gear' (just before the worst hill) my personal favourite 'Wish I'd stayed at home' and, at the 13 mile marker 'Sprint for the finish!' only I didn't have any sprint left...
However, I was surprised to learn that I had actually PB'd, with a time of 2 hours , 8 minutes and 6 seconds! Given that I had been ill, I am really pleased with that. We were given a momento, a thermos mug with the race details printed on in green, and after that was a water stand with boy scouts handing out cups of water (I heard one charming young chap asking if "all the slow runners were through now").
I changed, grabbed a complimentary coffee, bought a Snickers for essential energy replacement and walked back to the car. I have today off work, and although my thigh and calf muscles are aching, and my left knee just might hurt a little, there is absolutely no trace of Achilles pain/ discomfort!!
Funnily enough, I thought I had lost valuable training time this week due to being ill, but have actually achieved 28 miles, not including the 8 miles walking!

Labels:


Comments:
Well done Steph - I'll wage £10 that you run under 2hrs for a half before the MdS.
 
Cheers Lloyd, under 2 hours would be great! Don't think I'll ever be as fast as you though!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?