Sunday, October 26, 2008

 

The Long Awaited Spires & Steeples Report!!!

The Start- Lincoln Castle

Yep, the long awaited report from the race I actually did several weeks ago!!!

This was quite an unusual one, in that it was a linear route. The Spires and Steeples walk is a newly created heritage trail from Lincoln Cathedral to St Deny's Church in Sleaford, and this was an inaugural challenge event along the same route (although starting and finishing in slightly different places.) I had originally planned to do another challenge walk the day before, but ran out of time with the move, so made my rucksack up to about 6 kg instead.

We parked at Sleaford and caught minibus transport to the start, which was in Lincoln Castle grounds rather than the cathedral. By the time we got there I was bursting for a wee! We had our photo taken before the start, quite a few people were doing it but some were doing a shorter 13 mile route. The runners were starting later, but I opted to enter as a walker as I though I'd take it easier.

We started by dropping down steeply through the old part of Lincoln to the shopping centres.


Lincoln Canal

It was quite sunny at this point, in fact it stayed dry all day which was lucky. We left Lincoln along a bridge over the main road with a spectacular view back to the Cathedral;



Lincoln Cathedral

The route then followed an easy tarmac track, then a grassy track to the village of Washingborough. The route is signed, but the organisers had supplimented it with small stickers with arrows drawn on, which were quite easy to miss. In fact, two walkers who had overtaken me missed the turn up to the village church, and didn't hear me try to shout them, but came into the first checkpoint a little shame faced!

We left the village along a track over the railway, and then followed a stream through fields. The sun was quite strong at this point.



Walking Across Fields

The first checkpoint was in the next village, Branston. There was only water available at the checkpoints, in bottles. I ended up stockpiling some in my rucksack, so my pack ended up heavier at the finish than the start! luckily I took loads of food, and a very welcome flask of coffee, I love these walks, a great excuse to eat loads of crap and not worry about it!!

The next part of the route went by the side of a wood to a track. There was nobody around at this point so I had a little run. Two guys were patrolling the route on mountain bikes, and they passed me on a regular basis, so we had a bit of a banter. I also came across St Johns Ambulance guys parked in various positions. There was a bit of road walking before crossing fields to another road, and footpath through this neat hedge arch;




The first of the runners were passing me now, as we reached Potterhanworth village with it's huge water tower;


Potterhanworth Village

This is Lincolnshire, so it's basically flat, which made for quite easy walking! It was a short hop, across fields and along the road to the next village of Nocton, where I caught up with some other walkers (as well as being overtaken by a load of runners.) There were a few sculptures and things here, including a cow made by schoolchildren from old scrap farm tools ploughed up in surrounding fields.



A Cow I Don't Mind Meeting!!

A easy walk brought me to the next village, Dunstan, then across fields and road to Metheringham, where a lot of the walkers and runners were finishing. I refilled my water bottles, and had my number checked, before continuing, sustained by one of the last of the Waltham Winder mars bars. A lovely path took me to Blankney, where there used to be a large hall, Blankney Hall, which burned down in 1945. We passed the remnants of it and crossed fields to a track into Scopwith.



Blankney Church

Scopwick is a lovely village, with a back running through it, ducks and everything.



Scopwick

After this was more large flat fields, including a ploughed field which I negotiated by going round the edge, but ended up missing the waymark sign and went through the wrong bit of the farmyard to the road into Rowston. After this was a mile of road walking to Digby. There was another checkpoint here, and I was informed that there were quite a lot of walkers behind me, which, of course, appealed to my competitive side and made me run more!


Digby

The sun had gone in by now, and the wind was whipping across the exposed fields, as I left the village over a clapper bridge and across yet more open agricultural fields. I entered Dorrington by a playing field, and ate a Tracker and had some coffee sitting on a wooden sculpture depicting the 'Dorrington Demons'.



The 'Dorrington Demons'

The last section back to Sleaford was the longest; I crossed more fields and roads into Ruskington, where there was a rather wind blown checkpoint. I was asked if I had seen any runners as they appeared to have a few unaccounted for! I suggested they had maybe become walkers. I was just leaving the village through fields when a runner caught me up- it turned out to be the chap I overtook on the Winder, so we had a bit of a chat, and he ran off.

I kept him in my sights and had a bit of a slow run, through fields full of free range chickens doing what they should be doing- walking round, scratching and pecking in the grass- it was a lovely sight!

The last part of the route was along the canal back to Sleaford- there was a final checkpoint before joining it, with a portaloo which I took advantage of. There was a wedding party posing for photos on the bridge I needed to cross, so I had to disturb them!

As I walked along the canal, I noticed a couple of walkers fast gaining ground on me, so the old competitiveness kicked in again and I ended up jogging most of the way back, overtaking some more walkers. I must say, this bit seemed rather never ending!!




By The Canal

I caught up with the runner chap, who I later discovered is called Phil, and we finished together. The finish was at the back of the Sports Centre rather than the church, and we were given more water and t-shirts. I was asked if I wanted a long sleeve or short sleeve one, and got quite excited as I haven't many long sleeve ones! The excitement didn't last though as I discovered it was a large... it would make a good nightshirt...

I think they are planning on making this event a yearly challenged- I'd certainly do it again, on the questionnaire they supplied I suggested providing food instead of a t-shirt next year!


My time was around 7 hours 15 minutes, which was fine as I planned to take it a bit steadier due to carrying more weight.











Labels:


Comments:
Steph! How are you? I did the Spires and Steeples challenge too. I was running though so didn't start at the same time of you. I wonder at which point I ran past you then? I'll be writing up my report soon
 
Shiz- Hi- how are you!! Looking forward to reading your report, it was quite a good route wasn't it? I would have kept a look out if I'd known you were doing it! Are you doing the Brecons Ultra?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?