Monday, September 14, 2009

 

Race Report; The Robin Hood Marathon

I set my alarm for 7:15am but was wide awake at 5am, and knew that there was no chance of going back to sleep, so I picked up my copy of Dean Karnazes' 'Confessions of an All Night Runner', and reread his harrowing account of completing the Western States 100 mile race, which seemed quite apt- at least I shouldn't be reduced to actually crawling along the road like a crippled crab- or so I hoped!

After my pre-race porridge and banana it took me some time to get to my colleague's house, due to the fact that it was on the way to one of the main race car parks, but luckily not many folk had twigged that there are no parking restrictions on her road on Sundays.

We had a chat and I used the loo umpteen times and suddenly felt very nervous... we wandered to the start- I was immediately overwhelmed by all the people- there were about 12,000 runners of all shapes and sizes. As usual I tried to look for the less fit looking ones doing the full marathon! There were signs to stand by with the projected time you hoped to finish in, so I decided to stand next to the last one- over 5 hours. Of course, I needed the portaloo again and it took us ages to find them. In the end, we managed to locate two, with quite a long queue. We were told that there were loads just round the corner but the queue was massive... by this time it had gone 9:50am and as the race started at 10am I was getting decidedly edgy watching all the runners heading away from us up to the start.

Finally a passing runner told us that there was now nobody waiting for the other portaloos, so we all made a beeline- bliss! My colleague and I jogged to the start area and she went off to watch from the start line. I was feeling beyond nervous at this point but felt that it was impossible to think I had a hope of running 26.2 miles! All around me fit looking people were doing last minute stretches and jogging on the spot, and finally the starting horn went. Excited, we all surged forward... and stopped. This bit was frustrating; all I could think was that the longer it took to cross the start line, the less time I had to beat the sweep vehicle. We started forwards, walking very slowly, and could hear the commentator announcing how many people were crossing the line. Finally I could see the start line, and as we shuffled across there was a long continuous beep from hundreds of champion chips.

At last we were running; I saw my colleague, waved and shouted 'see you later' (much later! I thought) and followed the throng of runners. We headed out of the Meadows and passed mile 1, then were faced with a climb up to Nottingham Castle and the cobbles. I felt strong, but was aware that I was maybe going slightly faster than I should be. I also became concerned that everyone around me appeared to be doing the half marathon, sporting blue race numbers rather than my red one. I got into the habit of trying to surreptisciously look at the race numbers of everyone I passed or who passed me trying to see a red one amidst the sea of blue. I took one of the diddy bottles of water offered at each water station, drinking some and throwing the rest down my back like everyone else seemed to be doing. It was mercifully a cloudy, dry day, with the sun breaking through here and there. I heard several people commenting that we were lucky it wasn't yesterday- it had been sunny and very warm.

We made our way down through the streets of Nottingham and cheering supporters, and saw the first of the leading runners coming back the other way- such a feat, and everybody clapped and whooped them. Us mere mortals then entered the university grounds, running round the lake; several runners dived off into the bushes at this point! Things started to get hilly, and I kept on running uphill, whilst trying to conserve some energy. I accepted a Lucozade energy drink, carrying it for a while and sipping it slowly. A group of army lads dressed in khaki and carrying packs came speeding by me, complete with red race numbers, only to slow and walk up the next hill. This seemed to be the pattern; I'd pass them going uphill (which was difficult as they kept in tight formation) then I'd hear the cry of 'March!' and there would be the sound of heavy boot steps as they all come bustling past.

One family were armed with a garden hose set to 'mist' and I ran through it for a welcome cool shower. We passed a pub, with a group of spectators, and one started to play the 'Chariots of Fire' theme on an oboe or sax- it was great!

At around mile 7, we entered Wollaton Park and were faced with a long, slow ascent I'd done before on the Grand Prix series. There were a couple more climbs, and I passed the army lads for the last time. The crowd were great- one runner yelled 'How about a cheer to help us up this hill?' and they responded with resounding cheer after cheer.

We had a long downhill, which was a pleasant respite, before retracing our steps into the City. My legs started to feel worryingly tired at this point and my stomach felt rather queasy, which was annoying. I slowed my pace and was rewarded by passing a couple of full marathoners, which gave me a boost as I was still running primarily amongst half marathoners.

I took advantage of a row of portaloos at mile 11; I don't know if it was the lucozade energy drink which upset me but something sure did! The brief sit down seemed to refresh my legs a bit, and I ran the next couple of miles quite slowly, although was still passing plenty of half marathon runners. It was quite good fun to be running on the roads, on our own little coned off lane, watching the traffic rush past.

Finally we entered the home straight for the half marathoners. There were signs for the full marathoners to keep to the right; I can honestly say that this was the lowest point of the race for me. The spectators were shouting 'almost there!' which seemed a bit cruel as I certainly wasn't yet! The half marathoners all peeled off to the finish- I turned my head and could see the finish line, then had to turn away from it, knowing I had the same distance to do again. It felt quite cruel, and I wished, not for the first time, I had just signed up for the half.

But of course I hadn't, so girded my loins and ran on- amongst loads of finished runners wrapped in foil blankets and clutching goody bags. How I hated them at that point! There were only a couple of blokes around me- one of whom had the annoying habit of charging past me, stopping and walking, letting me overtake and charging past again. I eventually passed him for good, and passed another bloke but I suddenly realised I wasn't entirely sure which way to go. I ran under Trent Bridge and realised to my relief that there were marshals every so often, pointing the way and offering encouragement.

We ran over Lady Bay bridge, and I passed another guy. As we turned into Lady Bay itself, and passed the 15 mile mark, I felt quite rough; my guts were churning again, and I had developed a pain in my left knee which I could feel with each pounding step. I really felt that I was struggling to keep going, and the thoughts of completing another 11 miles seemed impossible.

I forced myself to keep going at what must have been a quite slow pace, and passed a few folks who were walking. One lady marshall had gathered discarded water and Lucozade bottles and arranged them to say 'Well Done!' I dived into a portaloo at mile 17, which was quite a relief, and took a couple of painkillers. I set off at a stilted run, passing those who had got passed whilst I was 'indisposed'... luckily the knee pain had worn off for the time being. I got a bit confused here though- the route obviously doubled back on itself, as there were signs warning of 2 way runners and people were passing us coming back the other way- I was really tempted to ask one if they wanted to swap places! We ran past Holme Pierrepont Hall and through it's pretty grounds, then were suddenly in another 2 way section. This time I saw the two blokes I had past just after the half way stage and was puzzled to how they got ahead of me... in my brain befuddled state I though they must have cheated and jumped in somewhere. I also spent the rest of the race waiting to run these two 2 way sections, and it finally dawned on me that there had only been actually one 2 way section- I had been on my way back down when I passed the two guys, and hadn't realised I'd already ran that bit- derr! After mile 18 I walked for a few minutes, before forcing myself to run again.

We reached Holme Pierrepont Lake- this was the bit I wasn't looking forwards to. I could see loads of runners making their way down the far side of the lake, but first we had to go right down to the sports centre before doubling back up. I took advantage of yet another portaloo, emerging just as a guy was running past. I managed to keep pace with him, and we had a bit of a chat- he was doing the New York and Chicago Marathons, the New York would be his 50th marathon- although they didn't get any easier, he said. He confessed that he was starving- he had only had a flapjack for breakfast. I did offer him some Power Bar, which by this time had all squashed together in one unappetising brown lump, but he declined.

As we rounded the cones to run up again, I accepted a Lucozade Gel, although I was worried I may regret it later! We slowed to a walk for a few minutes, then my companion ran on, and I followed more slowly. There were suddenly loads more people around, and I had started to pass folk, including one guy walking with support bandages on both knees who appeared to be in severe pain, and another guy with a pronounced limp. I decided to walk as fast as I could from mile 20 to mile 21, using my arms to propel me forwards in a kind of 'power walk' style. As I rounded the head of the lake and started down the other side, I look across and was cheered to see that there were still plenty of runners coming into the lake far behind me, including the army guys.

I suddenly felt quite a bit stronger, and started to run again when I passed mile 21. Just before we left the lake, I was caught amidships again, taking advantage of a handily placed portaloo and scaring a passing runner when I bolted out the door. We turned down the path by the River Trent, where I had ran only the week before, and passed mile 22. I had originally promised myself I could walk again at mile 22, but felt reasonably ok, and was enjoying the path far more than the roads, so carried on.

I walked again at mile 23, and accepted more Lucozade energy drink which I sipped carefully. I must say, the marshalls were great- so encouraging, the support was fantastic. I had planned to try to power walk to mile 24, but before I reached it I realised we were going under Lady Bay bridge, so thought to myself it would be great to run under it. There were loads of folk on the balcony of a pub next to the water, who were all shouting encouragement and I felt pretty good.

I passed the 24 mile marker and knew I would make myself run the rest of the way although my legs were hurting by this point. I was probably only shuffling but still managed to overtake folks. It was quite demoralising though as we could see the race village across the water and hear the tannoy announcing people in as they finished, but had to run past it, right down to the Toll Bridge, and back up. It seemed to go on forever!

I actually felt pretty good as I passed the 26 mile marker- it's ironic as I tend to think of a marathon as being 26 miles, so my body thinks it's finished but no- there's still another .2 of a mile left to run! I turned left, reached grass and saw the finish ahead of me- and with my colleague and loads of other folks cheering me on. I actually managed a sprint finish, although had visions of tripping up and going ar*se over tip! Luckily I was spared that humiliation and ran through the finish in 5 hours 25 minutes.

I gave up my chip, got my medal- nice and chunky in gold and green- and my goody bag- in fact, she gave me two, so they must have had plenty left- one advantage to being slow! I accepted a foil blanket as I thought it would make me look the part and met my colleague who fed me coffee. It was great to sink into a hot bath, but I think I have done something to my left knee cos it's quite tender today...

Looking on the website later, my chip time was 5 hours 17 minutes and 29 seconds, and there was a satisfying number of people who finished behind me. Ok, I am a slow runner, but I beat the sweep bus and wasn't last, so I'm quite happy with that. I am also a marathon runner!

Labels:


Comments:
Well done.

I would have cracked at the half marathon finish.

Hope your knee's okay.
 
Well done on a good time.

Sounds like a tough race, but I bet you feel much better now it's out of the way.

Did you see the guys with the fridge on his back ?

I found that with the lack of training I ran out of steam at 11miles and had to walk run the last 2miles.
 
Thanks a lot both, me knee seems fine now- I haven't done much this week!

MB- well done on your half, 13 miles is still a hell of a long way and you completed it, which is the main thing.

I didn't see that guy but did see a caveman, superman and plenty of ballerinas!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?