Monday, September 20, 2010

 

The Ponton Plod- Event Report

Yesterday was the Ponton Plod- which happens to be one of my favourite events, so I decided to get my arse in gear and go and do it! I had gone to the gym the day before, to try to train for my October challenge of undertaking the Dave Lewis Challenge and Spires and Steeples in the same weekend. As usual, I completely overestimated the time it would take me to get there and arrived a whole hour before the 8:30am start. As I had loads of time I decided to treat myself to toast and marmalade as a sort of second breakfast to the porridge I'd had earlier... need all the energy I can get! The PP was started by Stuart Ashley, a keen (and very fast) long distance walker, and has really grown in popularity- I can understand why though as it's a good route and a really friendly event.

There are three distances- 27 miles, 17 miles and 11 1/2 miles. I registered for the 27 mile; I did it in just under 7 hours in 2008 but knew I wasn't going to finish anywhere near that time this year, and figured I'd be happy with 8 1/2 hours. The weather forecast was pretty dire, but most of the rain actually missed us and it was a pretty good day- cloudy but ideal temperatures for walking.

We set off at 8:30, along tracks and through the golf course;
 and by a really posh building...


We were walking through the grounds, and as the route passed between two lakes I spotted a really odd-looking bird;

                                          What's This?? Answers On A Postcard...

                                          The Lake

The route emerges at the village of Stoke Rochford;

                                          Stoke Rochford

There followed a mile of road walking, which I tried to jog although it was slightly uphill, before the route headed across fields to the village of Skillinton. I was jogging the flat bits and downhills and trying to power walk the rest. I noticed a lady in a pink top fairly close behind me and moving quite fast, in fact she was behind me for much of the way.

After Skillington there is a fairly long walk along a track to reach the first checkpoint at Buckminster water tower;

                                          The Water Tower

The folks at the check point recognised me (happens a lot!) and I had some juice and half a hot cross bun. I didn't stay long, and jogged down the road to Buckminster.



                                                     Buckminster

I remembered the next part of the route quite well, and it's really pleasant- I really wanted to have a quick wee but realised that there were a few people close behind so thought better of it! One of the toughest parts of the route was on this stretch- we had to walk across a very long, uphill ploughed field, made up of the kind of mud that stuck to your shoes and made you feel like a carthorse on stilts!

Shortly after this the route passed gallops and a church;


Before crossing fields to Saltby. There were a few dicey electric fences to negotiate but luckily I emerged unshocked although it was a near thing. On this stretch is the dreaded rutted track that seems to delight challenge walk organisers from miles around- I last did it on the Belvoir Challenge and it was awful- completely muddy and slippy but was a lot better than I expected today! I was overtaken by two chaps, and took a slow jog down towards Croxten Kerrial and the half way point.

I decided I was going to have a bit of a rest here, and a coffee. There were sandwiches with the crusts cut off- very posh! As usual, everyone seemed to remember me from previous years... once seen and never forgotten... the lady in the pink top came in, and I saw Sue, who does a lot of the challenge walks in the area.

I left after about 15 minutes, and set off uphill and the down a steep descent into the woods;

                                          Descending

There was another lovely long and uneven ploughed field to cross- I was so glad it was dry! The route passes through Harston before following the road up towards Sewstern Lane. We don't actually go down the lane- the route follows an old railway (and cycle route) to the road to Denton. I jogged down hill into the village but was feeling quite tired and cursed myself for not bringing painkillers as my legs were aching quite a bit.

The lady in the pink top caught me up at Denton Reservoir;

                                          Denton Reservoir

We walked the rest of the route together, which was really nice, it's amazing how much faster the time goes and how you forget aching legs when you are chatting. It turns out that she works very near me (the next building!) and is a runner.

We stopped for a brief drink and cake at the checkpoint at Harlaxton Village Hall, and I remembered that there was quite a climb coming up. There were a lot of cows with calves, but luckily they didn't seem too preturbed by our prescence!

There is a bit of a road walk to the last checkpoint at Wyville, and we noticed a chap lying down on the verge with a border collie. We weren't sure if he had collapsed, but he said that he was just having a rest. He had a clip card so I gathered he was doing the event.

I didn't fancy anything to eat at the last checkpoint, but took a mars bar for later and refilled my water bottle for the last 3 1/2 miles. I was feeling quite tired now and glad to finish, there is a steepish climb along the road to the bridleway back to the footbridge over the A1. I was quite amused to see some sheep poking their heads through a gate, watching us, with a note on the gate saying that the stallion who is usually in the field 'is not with us at the moment as he is preforming matrimonial duties!'

We finished in 8 hours 7 minutes which I was very pleased with. I saw the chap who had been lying in the verge and his dog- they hadn't passed us so presume he had retired at Wyville. Home made soup and apple pie was on the menu, which was absolutely delicious!

I am off to Wells-Next-The-Sea Wednesday to Saturday with mum and Katie so won't be doing an awful lot. Sadly Jake will not be coming- as mum reckons she will get more of a break without him! He will be staying with his Dad- I will miss him though.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Great description of the walk! I walked the 27 mile with 4 friends and thought it was a brilliant day. It's the first time I've walked anywhere near that distance and am a bit sore now!

We also wondered what the odd-looking bird was and still have no idea!
 
Hi, thanks for your comment and well done on doing the distance! It's a lovely route and I think we were really lucky with the weather in the end.

I still haven't managed to find out what the bird was though!
 
I think it's a Muscovy Duck! Thank heavens for the internet!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?