Tuesday, April 14, 2009

 

Marathon Des Sables 2009- Ending The Adventure

I slept really well Friday night, but woke up feeling absolutely dreadful; I well and truly had the runs, and felt quite poorly with it. I felt even worse after facing the loos a few times! There was quite an epidemic of it this year, and Rob was distributing emergency toilet paper supplies.

Breakfast was provided, but there was a massive queue for it, and it was already becoming very hot. I just couldn't stand there any longer so went back to the tent to lie down; my tent mates kindly brought my breakfast to me in bed, and I managed to eat a little egg and yogurt. We were due to form the big '24' for the helicopter to photograph (for 24th year of the MdS) shortly afterwards. I went along with the others, but soon realised that I felt really rough and that if I stayed I would be in very real danger of passing out. I went back to the tent, and Perks helped me reach it- I don't know if I would have made it without her help! Al had given me some anti-sickness tablets, so I took one along with some paracetamol.

I managed to get some rest, but was absolutely dreading the 6 hour coach journey back to Ouazazate... I don't know how I stuffed my belongings into my rucksack, I remember Perks helping me but it was a bit of a blur! I do remember the sight of loads of flares being let off whilst we were waiting for the coaches, and illuminating the blue sky with pink lights- Gilly picked one up, it looked for all the world like a sink plug attached by a chain to a small parachute.

Eventually the coaches arrived, and I managed to get a seat at the front. Luckily I didn't suffer from the runs during the journey, although judging by the amount of stops we had, it was apparent that some of the others were! It was quite frustrating at times, as the buses would often stop for half an hour or more. I got off each stop for fresh air more than anything, and managed to sleep for most of the journey. We were given a packed lunch, but I couldn't even look at it!

I was so glad when we reached Ouazazate and was able to get off the coach- only to be faced with a long queue to check in and get our room key, and the prospect of lugging my case to the room (I was very grateful for Mike B's help!) I really didn't feel like going for dinner, so Rach went whilst I laid on my bed, reading. I managed to eat the crisps from my packed lunch, and had an early night.

I felt so much better the next day, and managed to eat a bite out of several enticing breakfast pastries, although the runs were pretty much still in evidence! We were told to go to a nearby hotel to collect our finishers T- shirts, and thought it would only take us a few minutes. Wrong- the organisers decided to make us go through the boutique selling MdS goods before we could collect the T- shirts- meaning another 1 1/2 hours of queueing! There wasn't an awful lot left when we got there, but I did buy a book on the history of the MdS.




Downtown Ouazazate


We decided to explore Ouazazate, not too easy for me as my right knee was hurting a great deal, and one of the blisters on my left foot decided to get in on the act too!



A Familiar Sight!

We found a colourful little square, with a cafe so stopped for lunch. Everyone else had tajines which looked really nice, but I just couldn't face them and chose an omelette.




Tajines For Lunch!


After lunch, we explored a bit more and found some 'souks' with authentic market stalls. I spotted some beads and eagerly selected some for mum, but when I tried to barter the price, the trader wanted the equivalent of £45 for them! A chap called Alex was passing, and as he had a good command of French, tried to help me barter. The stall owner wouldn't accept less than £35 though, so I walked away.




The Souks


We got slightly lost trying to find our way back to the hotel, and arranged to meet in Mike B's room, which was massive, for pre-dinner drinks. Rob gave a speech just before dinner, with awards for first British man and woman, best dressed competitor, most impressive injury and worst prepared competitor, which Kobus won!



Rob's Speech In The Restaurant

We just chilled out for the rest of the evening; most folks were having a drink but I daren't cos of my dodgy tummy, so stuck to water.



Movie Sets In The Hotel




Stagecoach Steph!!


We didn't actually go to bed until 2pm, and were up at 5am next day, so all felt rather worse for wear. Luckily the airport was literally 5 minutes drive from the hotel, and we expected things to run fairly smoothly. But this was Morocco, and we hadn't finished queuing yet... it took around 2 hours to check us all in, and our flight had to be delayed!



Gilly Fed Up With Yet More Queueing!

At last we were all through though, some folks decided to get rid of their remaining Dirhams by buying stuff in the one tiny Duty Free shop, which rapidly ran out of change and started to give change in mars bars!




Catching The Flight Home...


The flight home was pretty uneventful apart from a particularly bumpy landing, and I had a quick cuppa and sandwich before my 4 1/2 coach journey home... the drama wasn't quite over though as whilst I was waiting for my friend to pick me up, a chap walked down the road behind me and collapsed! I walked over to him, and a woman had stopped to call 999. Whilst she was talking to them, a couple of policemen arrived and the guy woke up and sprang to his feet! They told him to wait until the ambulance arrived so that he could be checked over so we left him in their hands!

I didn't actually get home til around 9:30pm, physically and mentally spent!

Labels:


Comments:
Congratulations Steph, that's a really huge achievement. Remind me not to join you on any 'little walks' you might have planned in the future ;-)

Reynard
 
Hi Reynard- how are you? You are not so bad at walking yourself though!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?