Monday, April 09, 2007

 

The Belvoir Half Marathon

This was my first ever half marathon, so I was a nervous, especially as it will be a test of whether I am capable of managing the longer distances...

The race started at the village hall in the tiny village of Hose, set in Leicestershire's Vale of Belvoir (pronounced beaver!) so is quite local for me. There were loads of runners, luckily there was plenty of parking on the huge playing field. The toilet facilities weren't so good though; the first thing which struck me was the length of the queue for the ladies! Apparently some portaloos had been ordered but were late, luckily I managed to get into the loo with ten minutes to spare!

After some confusion over which way the event actually started and us slower bods trying to get to the back of the field and finding ourselves at the front, we were away; down the field and out on the road to Harby (sight of the Belvoir Challenge!!)

I wasn't sure how to pace myself, after all it's very different from doing a 10k. A lot of folks seemed to be passing me and I started to worry about coming last! The route was marked every half mile, and I found myself constantly scouring the view ahead, looking for the next one, only to see it and then discover it's actually someone's flourescent running top!

It was sunny and quite warm as we passed through Harby and set off towards Langar. There's an airfield near Langar and several small aircraft buzzed overhead. I found myself behind two ladies who were going at my pace, and managed to overtake a couple of people. We reached the first water point just after 4 miles and I walked through whilst gulping down water. The two ladies ahead picked up their pace and I lost them. I had my running pack with the last of my free samples from High5; this was a surprise as I expected it to be like water, but it was quite thick and gel like, but not unpleasant.

The half way point came and went, along with a welcome breeze. We turned towards Long Clawson and passed through another couple of water points. At this point is started to feel like a bloody long way, and a few folk had started to walk uphill. At around 9 miles my left knee started to ache, and by 10 miles the old pain had come back. I'm assuming that following my chesty cough, I shouldn't really pushed myself to do 12 miles last Sunday.

The miles between 9 and 12 seemed to be a series of gradual climbs, and by this time it seemed hard work. It would have been so easy to slow and walk, but I kept pushing myself. I caught up with the two ladies I'd been following earlier andpassed them when they slowed to a walk. I passed another group of runners, and although I felt my pace had slowed, they didn't come past me.

The last water point was just before the 12 mile point, where the road turns back to Hose. Fummily enough, the last mile seemed much easier and I managed to pick up my pace. As I neaered the village I could see the light shining off the cars in the playing field, and a lot of early finishers passed us in their cars, shouting encouragement which was nice.

I managed a sprint(ish) finish, and was quite surprised to finish in 2 hours 11 minutes and 51 seconds! (results can be found here). I am pleased with that, as it's just below my usual 10 minute miles so quite consistent. Plus I wasn't last as there were quite a few behind me in the end!

The down point though is that my left knee is quite painful today, so I am going to have to rest it. I am also aching, but not too badly. I did get my chocolate too, in fact I feel a bit sick...

One thing I can't understand though... as usual there was a t-shirt for all finishers. But the organisers only seem to order these in extra large... now I'm not being awful here, but your average serious runner isn't likely to be all that big... so come on, organisers let's have some smalls or at least mediums!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?