Sunday, March 02, 2008

 

The Norton 9; Event Report

Today was the 25th running (literally!) of the Norton 9 organised by the Askern Running Club... it's quite an unusual distance, and quite a good one so I decided to do it again this year. Also my colleague and her friend were running it, and it's always much more fun when doing an event with others.

Nortons's quite a long drive away- near Doncaster, but luckily the race didn't start until 11am so didn't have to leave hideously early. Driving up the M1 as I got nearer and nearer the amount of signs I saw saying 'High winds, slow down' increased, which didn't bode well!

There was quite a good turn out, I didn't see Meryl or Becky at the school, but remembered that the start is quite a way away from the car parks, so made my way there and found them. We set off, and I found I remembered the route quite well. It is quite undulating, and exposed which usually means you can see the runners for miles in front (in my case anyway!!) It was very windy as suspected, and several times I found myself running into the wind and kind of running in slow motion like the Bionic Woman.

I completely missed seeing the first mile marker, and was quite releived when passing the second as it had felt a bloody long first mile! We climbed gradually before passing through a deserted village- everyone was probably doing the sensible thing and staying in watching telly! More undulations brought us to the water station at 5 miles. Beyond this was the first really steep hill, which I was prepared for this year! There's nothing to be done but just slog to the top; I overtook a few folk but most of them overtook me again on the flat!

A welcome downhill stage let us get our breath back before a more gentle climb to another quiet village. My legs felt quite tired, I think I went off a bit fast. It's amazing how much more we push ourselves whilst racing rather than just training! There were some pretty good views across the open countryside but I didn't appreciate it all that much to be honest, I was locked in my own little world of effort and discomfort! All the marshalls kept telling us it was 'all downhill now' but I knew they were fibbing!!

Miles 6 to 7 felt ok and I think I put a bit of a spurt on and actually did some overtaking. The next worse hill comes at around 7.5 miles, and is long, steep one. Luckily the mile 8 was right at the top, and the last mile is downhill through Norton. Last year it was hailing and I was wet through, but this year stayed dry.

The village seems endless, several folk powered past me for a sprint finish- where do they get the energy from?? Right at the end is another uphill, but I was pleased to finish in 1 hour 21 minutes and 58 seconds so a PB! Mind you, the weather conditions were much better this year. But I am training for endurance and distance rather than speed now, so wondered if it would affect my race time.

Becky had finished a short while before me, and we cheered Meryl in, who did really well as she's had some injury problems this week and it was touch and go whether she'd be able to run today. I learnt from last year and took spare clothes but didn't actually need them.

So- total mileage this week... 9 1/2 miles walk/ run Monday, 3 miles stomping around Ruddington Country Park Tuesday, 8 miles with pack Wednesday, 3 1/2 miles on the treadmill at the gym Thursday, and another 2 1/2 there Saturday, plus today... about 35 1/2, not too bad!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?