Monday, March 05, 2007

 

Race Report; The Norton 9

This was quite a long drive away from me, but luckily didn't start til 11 am so didn't need too early a start. I crawled out of bed to see a rather unpromising, overcast sky. The weather report gave gales and heavy rain, which sounded a bit ominous, it was quite tempting to just get back into bed but no- I have told everybody I am doing this!

As usual, I completely overestimate the time it takes to drive there, and drive into the car park at 9:30am. The race starts and finishes in the village of Norton near Doncaster, and we are able to park in the village school. Luckily, my colleague Meryl has also overestimated and gets there at the same time. She has brought a friend, Julia, with her; Julia isn't running but is giving moral support!

We sit in the car and chat; I eat a banana and am trying my new bum bag with an isotonic drink and gel sachet. We mooch roundthe school, and I buy a wrist wallet just big enough to carry keys, a card and some coins. This is neat, and will save me from having to wear my bum bag on shorter races. The start is actually quite a way from the school, so we follow everybody else; the front runners are the normal skinny-vest-wearing-must-shave-a-millisecond-of-my-pb, so we head to the back, where everybody looks refreshingly normal! There is a tiger just in front, and I hear the woman next to me say 'Oh no, I'm going to get beaten by a guy wearing a tiger suit!'

The horn blasts, and we are off- all 400 or so. We run down the village and I lose Meryl as I am running slightly faster. We face the first small hill, and after that, the route is fairly undulating. The sky is still grey and overcast, although the wind isn't too bad. I overtake a gladiator at about 3 miles, and wrestle with my water bottle; unfortunately it's quite difficult to access on the hoof, but it is possible to push it back in and pull the elastic band over it, even if the clip isn't done up which secures it.

We run through a village and I overtake another couple of people going up hill. Unfortunately, this means I can't see anybody in front of me and am convinced I am going the wrong way until I spot a marshall, who points me off to the left. I reach the water station at 5 miles, and am faced with the biggest hil on the course so far. To make matters worse, it starts to rain and I can feel the wind getting up; I rummage for my gel and swallow it, and mentally gird my loins.

God, the hill is tough; an old gent on a bike is shouting encouragement but I hardly have breath to thank him. Just think of it as a hill session on the treadmill! Finally we reach the top, it's taken it out of the woman in front though, as she has slowed up quite a bit. I pass a few more ladies, which is a major boost to me!

We are now quite high, and the countryside is very open. It is raining in earnest now; that icy, winter rain which stings your cheeks. We are also being buffeted by the wind, and running is quite difficult. By the time we reach the base of the next hill, I'm soaked- a friendly marshall informs me that it's 'all downhill after this hill'. It turns out to be easier than it looks, and, cheered on by a couple of bikers, I reach the top at 8 miles and begin a long descent into the village.

As I reach civilisation and run down the village street, I strain my eyes for the finish, but can only see the lucky runners who have finished and are walking to their cars or bus stops. I am trying to put a spurt on, but my legs are feeling quite tired, finally I am directed round a corner and am told that 'the finish is just at the top of the hill'. Hill??? After a last effort I cross a muddy field and hurl myself over the finish. I didn't see my time, but went back to look at the clock; 1 hour 29 minutes, which is a brilliant 15K time for me! An average of just over 6 mph!!

I collect my t-shirt (why are they all XL? Well, it will make a nice night shirt!) Julia is there with our stuff, and as it's still pouring and absolutely freezing, we walk up the road to see if we can spot Meryl. We see her at the top of the village, and cheer her on before meeting up with her back at the school. Meryl got changed but Einstein here, in her infinite wisdom, didn't take anything to change into so had to make do with holding my poor frozen hands under the drier in the loos. (note to self- if I do this one again, bring fresh clothes- and gloves!)

God, I was cold! I didn't stop shivering til I got to the M1! I called in a service station for a take away cup of hot chocolate, which was warm and creamy and really hit the spot! Had a long soak later, but have a bit of a sniffle today. The results aren't yet out, I will post the link to them when they are, I am still quite chuffed with my time! I definately think my treadmill sessions are working...

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?