Saturday, March 15, 2008

 

Event Report; The Charnwood Marathon (Shhh!!)

Right. Unofficially, to my colleagues, I didn't do the CM today... they think I have just taken it easy today, dabbled with watercolours, read, etc etc and I'd hate to disillusion them...

But, officially... did I do it?? Yeah- course I did- because I'm a nutter!! I hadn't had a reply to my email last night, so resolved to see how I felt this morning, there was also the option of doing the 15 mile route if I still felt rough. But I woke feeling fine, just a slight lingering cough, so turned up on the offchance they were accepting entries on the day, after all with the event being so close, all I had to lose was my Saturday morning lie in.

Luckily they were, and I was in- I decided to compromise, take a fairly light pack and just walk. The town crier started us at 8am, and we were off; it was grey all day but luckily stayed mostly dry. I know the route quite well now, we set off over fields to Woodhouse, and the first climb of the day, up to Broombriggs Hill and the self clip. I risked a little jog downhill before the steady climb up to the top of Beacon Hill, and touched the trig point at the top.

We had a descent to the first manned checkpoint, so I jogged again, but just before I got there, my left ankle turned over, and as I stumbled I felt a sickening pain in it for a couple of seconds. But luckily it seemed ok, I grabbed a couple of drinks and half a hot cross bun at the checkpoint and went on, climbing, descending, walking under the M1 and ascending to Lubcloud. The first runners, who started at 9am, were coming past now.

A bit of road walking brought us to Blackbrook Reservoir, and a climb through woodland took us to the next checkpoint, and carrot cake, at Mount St Bernards Abbey. After this, the route climbs over the rugged Warren Hills before dropping down to Coalville and climbing to the trig of Leicestershire's highest point, Bardon Hill. They always put a self clip right on the trig point so you can't miss it out... I was walking with a chap sporting a large beard, and we agreed that the extensive quarrying has ruined the hill. There's not much left to it at all beyond the trig point- just a large blank on the map.

I had another downhill jog, before climbing on a muddy track to Old Rise Rocks and dropping down to the 15 mile checkpoint at Copt Oak, with- bliss- cobs, coffee and more hot cross buns. Much to my embarrassment, my mobile started ringing just as loads of folk were arriving... it was only mum checking that I wasn't developing pneumonia.

I felt in quite good shape, so after another ascent and muddy, slippery descent, decided to jog slowly past Ulverscroft Priory ruins, and the 1/2 mile road walk to the footpath to Newtown Linford. I overtook a few walkers, but walked along the footpath as it was very slippery in parts.

There's a good stretch after this through Newtown Linford to Bradgate Park, so I jogged again, knees were aching a bit but otherwise I felt ok. Then came the slog up to the highest point of Bradgate Park, The Old John monument, and- yep- another self clip! I reckon this event covers all the climbs in Leicestershire! It's a choose- your- own- route to the last checkpoint in the Hallgates car park, and I am never quite sure if I ever manage to choose the quickest and most direct one.

I was chatting with one of the organisers at the checkpoint whilst sipping a hot chocolate (now THAT is luxury!!) and he said that there were 50 more to come through, which pleased me. It started to rain, the heaviest showers of the day, but didn't last too long.

I decided to jog through Swithland Woods (well, practice my Sahara Shuffle, as my legs were aching now). The next footpath had a really muddy, boggy patch, and I nearly got stuck- I was trying to edge my way round and a hefty branch snagged my rucksack and I was just held dangling for a couple of minutes like some giant insect.

The last bit of the route always seems a bit endless to me- a 3/4 mile road/ track walk, which I managed to jog, and a never ending path by a river back into Quorn. This path always has a profusion of wild garlic growing along it, and I harvested some to cook in pasta tomorrow. I managed to maintain my jog along the path, no mean feat as it was very muddy and slippery in parts.

Finally, after what seemed like an age, Quorn came into sight, and I walked the last half mile through the village, but managed to walk surprisingly fast! I got back to the venue, and noticed the sign outside saying 'no boots or trainers' so had to wrestle with the mud- hardened laces to get my trainers off. My time was a great 7 hours and 21 minutes (and I reckon it must have taken a good minute to get my shoes off!) I say great because that beats my last year's time by a good 35 minutes...

Lovely spicy soup and an amazing array of cakes (which weren't limited to one per person!!) Looking at the weather now, I feel quite jammy. Only thing is, I can feel my ankle- the one I twisted- so I am icing it and hope it isn't going to cause me any problems... apart from that and a bit of an ache in my legs, I don't feel too bad! I probably won't do too much tomorrow though, and will build the running back up next week. Total walking this week is 38 miles, so not too shabby!

Labels:


Comments:
Sounds like you made the right choice, not only did you get a good trip out but there was good food to boot!
 
Yep- always a bonus!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?