Sunday, September 21, 2008

 

The Ponton Plod

I love the Ponton Plod- the sun always shines! This is the third year I've done this event (actually it's only been running for three years!) and every time it's been sunny. Today had the added bonus of being very warm.

I nearly didn't make it. Usually I drive to Grantham and pick up the A1 Southbound for three miles, as Great Ponton, the starting point, is just off the A1. Today, I turned towards the slip road for the A1 Southbound, only to find it had been closed for roadworks, so I had to turn back- no problem, I thought, I'll go Northbound and use the next junction to pick up the Southbound carriageway... this went according to plan, and I was soon headed South, until I reached the slip road where the road works were... and realised it wasn't just the slip road that was shut... but the whole A1 Southbound! I managed to find a way across country and arrived at 8:10am for an 8:30am start, but I wasn't the only one affected and they delayed the start by 15 minutes to allow folks to arrive.

There was a much bigger field this year- in fact, we parked in a field whereas the previous years we had used the village hall car park. Most folks still seemed to be doing the 17 mile route but there were more doing the long one, which our route descriptions advised is 27 1/2 miles.

We set off over the footbridge crossing the A1, and along the bridleways to a Stately Hall.



Track towards Hall

I started a slowish jog, and found that the 'proper' runners left me for dust, but I was still ahead of the walkers. Shortly after the pic above, the route split and a lot of people (including the two in the photo) took the 17 mile route.

I was still jogging downhill, over the bridge crossing the lake; it looked so lovely with the early morning sun filtering through the trees, I took two shots.






Then there was a bit of road walking through Stoke Rochford village, before picking up a footpath towards Skillington. I could still see some runners ahead of me at this point, and was keeping up my slow jog where I could, walking up hill or on rough ground, I'm not too good at going over dodgy terrain!

Past Skillington there was the long dirt track to the first checkpoint at Buckminster Water Tower, this always seems a bit endless but thankfully wasn't too muddy. I did walk quite a bit as there were quite a few uphill sections. I had loads to drink, refilled my water bottle and left munching a piece of millionaire's shortbread. there were a couple of ladies in front who were also running and walking, a bit quicker than me, so I followed them to Buckminster and across the fields past Sproxton before losing them.

There followed a long uphill section- considering the walk's in Lincolnshire it's surprisingly undulating! We came to Saltby, which seems a lovely picturesque village. The route was quite well signed with 'Ponton Plod' markers, which was good- the first year I did it there weren't any, which made it a bit difficult.


Saltby Village

The next sections is quite picturesque, dropping down through fields to pass between two lakes (look at last year's report for a photo as the one I took this year is exactly the same!!) After this, it crosses huge fields of crops, winds past Gallops, before climbing again and dropping down towards a muddy track. Unfortunately, as with all dirt tracks in this area, scores of motorcyclists obviously use it on a regular basis, so it is extremely deeply rutted, and not at all pleasant to use. After this came a long but fairly easy section along the edge of fields to Croxton Kerrial; I felt something pulling at the top of my right leg at this point, but it wasn't hurting and didnt get worse so I just ignored it which probably wasn't the brightest move...

Croxton Kerrial is half way, and the site of the second checkpoint- with coffee, sandwiches, cakes and a loo... I stopped for lunch and a coffee break, and one of the helpers remembered me which seems to happen quite a lot... as I left, I was joined by one of the ladies I had followed; she had left the checkpoint behind her companion, but went the wrong way and lost her. Her name was Maggie, she was 62 and she said she used to run a lot, but was recovering from an illness so was getting back into these events. She asked me if I usually ran; I explained that I am training for an event, so she asked me what I am training for... I asked her if she'd heard of the Marathon des Sables, and she went a bit quiet so I assumed she was wracking her brains and would reply that she hadn't... but then I looked at her and she was staring at me with an expression I can only describe as incredulous, before she finally spoke and said "I have. You're doing that!!"
Turns out she had done a lot of running in her younger days. And I mean a lot. She once did the Coast to Coast in 3 1/2 days... as a warm up for the Bob Graham round!!
We chatted whilst we walked up the road to Sewstern Lane and turned onto the cycle track, and she sensed that I wanted to jog so suggested I went on. I left her, knowing full well that a few years ago she would have beat me hollow! I left the cycle track and jogged down the road to Denton, surprising a chap in a Landrover even though he had just passed a 'Caution, Runners' sign...
The route goes past Denton Reservoir, which is really picturesque... I stopped to take a photo and have just realised I took an identical one last year... ah well, here it is again, everyone's probably forgot it anyway...

Denton Reservoir
I headed away from the Reservoir and veered towards Harlaxton and the third checkpoint. It was still very warm, and the organisers were sitting out in the sun. I went inside the village hall and drank lots, feeling in surprisingly good shape. The next part of the route I remembered quite well, as it must be the steepest climb in Lincolnshire!


Proof That Lincolnshire Is Not All Flat... This Hill Was Worse Than It Looks!!
It was quite a slog, so I walked up the hill. There was nobody in sight here, either in front or behind. There is a bit of road walking after, before passing through woods and fields at the back of Hungerton Hall. I could see a couple of fast walkers in front and still managed to keep up my slow, shambling jog. I was determined to see if I could push myself and keep going at a (rather laughable excuse for a) run.
The last chekpoint is at Wyville, a tiny place at the top of a hill; I was told I strode in very purposely! As I munched a piece of delicious ginger cake, I was informed by the check point volunteers that there were about 20 behind me, which is a great improvement on last year, when there were 3 or 4! There had only been one drop out so far- due to an injured knee.
The next part was through woods and then big long fields, finally leading up hill to the road. I managed to still jog (apart from the uphills), and when we turned off the road onto a bridleway I overtook the two walkers- who told me to save them some apple pie! This was the home stretch now, so I managed to keep jogging, even uphill! As I joined back up with the start of the route I saw a couple of horse riders struggling with a gate bypassing the cattle grid, so I held it open for them.
Then it was back over the A1 bridge to the Village Hall- I even managed a sprint finish (helps when it's downhill!!) and leapt into the Hall with a flourish to check in. My time was 6 hours and 57 minutes- which I am really happy with as last year's time was 8 hours 21 minutes so I have PB'd by 1 hour 24 minutes!!
There was gorgeous home made apple pie for all finishers, and I felt really good; so much so that when I left to go, somebody told me I was walking much to well to have done 27 miles! I saw Maggie come in, and we exchanged congratulations. I am ok today- only aching a little and the leg appears to be fine, and my feet are really good- no blisters!! I feel I have redeemed myself a little after the debarcle that was the Bullock Smithy!

Hungarton Hall
On a sadder note, I have just had a phone call to inform me that next week's Starkholmes Stagger has been cancelled due to lack of entrants- damn, I was really looking forward to that! They are hoping to rerun it in February time if they get enough interest, so I would really urge people to support it!






Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?