Thursday, April 16, 2009

 

Marathon Des Sables 2009- Afterthoughts...

So- my thoughts on the whole Marathon des Sables thing...

My initial thoughts were real disappointment that we were rained off and the event was shorter than usual, and initially not as hot as usual. I wondered whether I would feel I hadn't really done the MdS. After all, we were pretty damned unlucky! Who'd have thought it- bloody rain in the desert!!!

Whilst I was doing it I felt that I may have to one day come back and do it 'properly'- have the full bivouac and seven days experience.

Maybe I should adopt Rose's attitude... her philosophy was that the MdS is the MdS... whichever form it takes in any particular year. We have to deal with whatever the desert chucks at us- be it high humidity, intense heat or torrential rain...

Plus the stages we did do were apparently harder. I think this was partly to compensate and partly to keep us to higher ground due to the floods which were still evident in low lying areas. Several people, even the top runners, were heard to say that the terrain was much tougher than usual. There were certainly a lot of dunes, we were in them every day.

And don't let us forget that the long stage was 91 km- 56 1/2 miles- making it the longest (and apparently hardest) day ever in the history of the MdS. In all we covered 202 km throughout the week and I'm sure I heard somebody say that prior to 1999 the event was 200 km long.

As Rory Coleman said- this is the MdS they will all be talking about... maybe I will go back and do it again one day, although there are a heck of a lot of other things I want to do as well... all I know is that I was there, I completed all the stages and was given a shiny medal by Patrick, so I can hold my head up and say "I completed the Marathon des Sables"...

It was a fantastic adventure, and one which was made special thanks to the fellow inhabitants of Tent 70- Rach, Sharky, Al, Gilly, Craig, Vicky and Jeff-cheers for being great tent mates! Thanks also to Tent 72 who were also incredibly supportive- Perks, Graham, Rose, Mike A, Mike B, Shiz, Dave and Rich. Fantastic people!

I don't think my guts are quite back to normal yet. My right knee took a right pounding and was quite painful last week. I've done virtually nothing except a few short walks and tackling the 4 flights of stairs at work and have been wearing a support bandage. Touch wood, it feels a lot better, so I am going to try the gym on Saturday. I feel a right lazy slob and unfortunately the sweet tooth has well and truly made a reappearance. This has unfortunately coincided with Easter and copious amounts of chocolate in the house... what's a girl to do...

I have also been feeling a bit flat since returning home. I suppose it's inevitable... for months my whole focus has been on the MdS and training, and that's now all gone... I need to find a new challenge, something new to focus on. Something cheap... watch this space!!

Labels:


Comments:
Look after yourself and get well before you go charging off again!

Just enjoy the fact that you've done the MdS and you don't have to do it again.

Well done.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?