Sunday, July 06, 2008

 

Grand Prix Race 4; Colwick Country Park & Results

This was the last of the Grand Prix races- a 5 miler around Colwick Park. Last year it absolutely tipped it down, and there were huge puddles everywhere, but this year was luckily a lot drier! The start had been moved, and was quite a way away from the loos which was a major concern of mine; it was a nice spot though, near the lake, and I joined Meryl (knew she'd decide to do it!) as we lined up along a track waiting to start. She was determined to get in under 1 hour, I was hoping to PB but couldn't remember last year's time.

After what seemed an age we were off, to the funniest sounding hooter I ever heard- it sounded like an emergency siren and me and Meryl hoped it wasn't an omen!

The course had been changed slightly, we ran along tracks round the lake to a tarmac path past the car parks. I managed to overtake a few folks and spotted some familiar backs and hair dos. This race felt much easier than Tuesday's despite being a mile longer; after traversing the car park we were again on tracks through the park, which wound through wooded areas interspersed by yellow arrows indicating the route.

We turned a sharp right, and headed across an open area where folks had gathered to cheer us on! Then it was back round for the second loop. For about half a mile there was a chap who would run just behind me, making the most disturbing heavy breathing and 'h-h-r-a-k-k' type noises, then power past me before practically stopping dead. He did this quite a few times and I was sorely tempted to trip him up.

The hardest miles were miles 3 - 4; I was suffering a bit, I think I may have gone out slightly too fast. I was so pleased to see the 4 mile mark, and with half a mile to go I managed to pick up the pace slightly and pass a club runner. The finish was 200 yards slightly downhill on grass, and as I tried to put up a show of a sprint finish, folks were shouting "Well done!" which was slightly disconcerting as I hadn't actually finished yet...

I did manage to PB; my time was 44 minutes 18 seconds! I got a juice and clapped people over the finish line as I waited for Meryl. The clock was ticking away and I really hoped she'd achieve her goal of subbing an hour; finally she came into sight and put in a really impressive sprint finish to come in at 59 minutes 45 seconds!

We went to watch the prize winning ceremony but failed to win a spot prize this year. The t-shirts were very smart though...

First, here's last year's results;

Race 1, 10k; 59 mins 24 secs
Race 2, 5K; 28 mins 09 secs
Race 3, 4 miles; 36 mins and 52 secs
Race 4, 5 miles; 46 mins and 21 secs
Overall; 2 hours 50 mins and 46 secs.

And this year's;

Race 1, 10k; 55 mins 25 secs
Race 2, 5K; 27 mins 42 secs
Race 3, 4 miles; 35 mins and 05 secs
Race 4, 5 miles; 44 mins and 18 secs
Overall; 2 hours 42 mins and 30 secs.

That's an overall improvement of 8 minutes and 16 seconds, so not bad!!

My long runs/ walks have been suffering over the last couple of weeks though as a result, so will have to phase those back in... not too long before I go to Spain though!

I had a good session at the gym this morning, with 20 minutes on 'Brian' the summit trainer... apparently the most difficult position is to lean forward so you get the full range of leg movement. It is hard and I was knackered after 20 minutes! A good, productive kind of knackered though... then I had the added stress of venturing into Asda on a Sunday along with everybody else in Leicestershire obviously.

When I got home I was surprised to see that a bar of Asda Smart Price chocolate had apparently jumped into my basket, so am now feeling ever so slightly sick!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hey Steph, thanks for the comments. Yes it is a bugger, but I know I need to rest - I just hate it in case I lose some fitness! Sound like some great races for you also, keep up the good work!
 
Some good improvements there Steph. Mojo rediscovered?

Alan
 
At the rate you're going, Steph, you'll be mid-pack on the MdS, and not at the back with the rest of the mob. Well done, and keep it up.

I and the camel spiders, are most impressed.

Huge hugs,
Craig
 
Some fantastic times Steph (much better than I could ever manage). I'm sure I can walk faster than I can run...!

Looking forward to the Kent 50. I can put in some good practice for the Sahara Shuffle!! x
 
Thanks everyone- I was quite surprised to PB as I have been concentrating on long slow walks and runs and only doing speed work at the gym! I don't think the Ahansal brothers should be exactly quaking in their running shoes though...
I do feel a lot more motivated lately, am really looking forward to the Kent 50 too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?