Thursday, October 21, 2010

 

The Double Marathon Challenge- Event Report!

Sorry for the long overdue update... I did actually manage to complete the Marathon double whammy challenge! The weather forecast wasn't brilliant, and I wasn't too happy to see heavy rain Friday night, as the paths would probably be quite muddy now.

The Dave Lewis challenge was only about 30 minutes drive away, so not too early start. Imade my flask and packed the waterproofs, before driving to Kelham Hall. I was quite early, so had a leisurely coffee, saw Sue who was walking it with a friend, and met Ross, who was walking with his friend Brian.

It was sunny but quite cold. The start is in the car park of the Kelham Fox, there weren't all that many walkers as it's quite a low key event. It is run every year, in commemoration of Dave Lewis, a keen runner and walker who tragically drowned whilst on holiday with his family. His widow saw us off, and I had a little jog up the road to get warm.

We turned off the roads, into fields. The weather was perfect at this point- it didn't last though!



We entered a wood, and I followed Sue and her friend along a track; it didn't feel right though, and we realised we'd gone wrong. So had everyone else, so we all back tracked in search of a 'new gate'. I found myself walking with Ross and Brian, and walked with them for the rest of the day which was good, it's amazing how much faster the time goes walking with others. The route was mainly across fields, some ploughed, and along tracks. Route finding was rather difficult, as there were no signs and the route description could be open to interpretation!

We had several showers throughout the day so I was glad of my waterproof.


Just before the second checkpoint we weren't at all sure we were on the right path- the route descriptions didn't appear to match what we were seeing. There were three girls just ahead who were looking rather lost. We spotted a couple of St Johns Ambulance guys on the road parallel to our path, so me, Brian and Ross cut across a field to them, whilst the girls retraced their steps. I'm not quite sure why the St Johns Ambulance folks were there as they weren't on route, but let us look at the map. As the road ran alongside the path, we opted to follow this into the next village and checkpoint.

                                           Southwell Minster

After some more route finding problems, and being joined by the girls again, the route passed through part of Southwell. We could see the Minster from some distance away.

                                                     Rather Odd Looking House

                                          Southwell

After this the route followed part of the last Dave Lewis Challenge I completed, but in the opposite direction. There was more substantial food than I remembered- lovely home made cakes.

We followed the River Trent for a long stretch, from Hazelford Ferry past Fiskerton. I was quite familiar with this section as I have walked it a few times.

Unfortunately it was that time in every event when it starts to drag... when you would much rather be home and have it over and done with. The rather uneven path by the river started to drag a bit and I rubbed a blister on my heel, which unfortunately pulled every time my foot twisted on the uneven ground.

By the time we left the river and reached checkpoint 6, which had also been check point 2, we agreed that it felt we had already done 26 miles. Unfortunately we hadn't reached the end of the walk... the next part retraced the path we should have come up earlier, so we decided to follow the road back.

The last part of the walk seemed endless. We caught up with the girls- they were sisters, living in different parts of the UK and had met up for the weekend to do this walk.


It took us 9 hours 58 minutes, when we finished the chap waiting for us said that the route was really 28 1/2 - 29 miles long, and they were thinking about taking a loop out for next year...

Didn't give me all that long to recover for the Spires and Steeples though, so I drank a recovery drink and ate a (horribly over sweet) recovery bar on the way home and had a soak in the bath.

Sunday was a really early start as I needed to be in Sleaford for 7:30am to catch the bus laid on to Lincoln. We were being picked up in a different car park from last time, and there were loads of walkers. The chap sitting next to me on the bus said 'It's time to break out the flask!' I agreed and we both got our flasks out and poured a drink. His looked like milk, and he wailed 'Oh no! I put the sugar in, put the hot water in, put the milk in... but I forgot to put in the coffee!'

We were disgorged onto the streets of Lincoln and made our way to the castle and the start. It was foggy and bitterly cold, but looks as though it was going to be a nice day once the fog lifted.



We started at 8:40am and set off downhill through Lincoln's cobbled streets before following a trail. I could feel my legs, but once I started moving I didn't feel too bad. I had dressed my blister and it wasn't giving me any problems. I was actually setting quite a good pace, and thought that the main thing would be to get to the half way point at Metheringham before the cut off time of 1:30pm.

                                                    Branston

Everyone spread out a little after the first checkpoint at Branston, and shortly afterwards the first runners started cpming past.

The sun had well and truly come out now and it was glorious! I had taken some painkillers and wasn't suffering too badly at all.



                                          The Water Tower At Potterhanworth

I remembered quite a lot of the route and this part of it was very pretty- lovely old villages with ancient churches, the paths were good too- much easier than yesterday.

I passed a house in Dunston with a tray full of apples attached to the gate for folks to help themselves so I picked up a lovely juicy apple and muched it whilst I walked into Metheringham. I had made the cut off point with plenty of time to spare so got the flask out and had coffee. There was no food at the checkpoints, apart from flapkack at Ruskington, so I had come self sufficient. Both feet were starting to hurt on the balls of each foot, and the big toe nail on my left foot had started to gently throb but I was still feeling pretty good as I left Metheringham.

                                          Dunston

                                          Blankney


                                          Scopwick


Scopwick is really pretty, with it's stream running through the village. Shortly afterwards I walked for a while with Cath, who was running the event and was now walking. I walked with her until Ruskington, as her family were waiting to meet her there. We agreed that this part of Lincolnshire is really pretty.

                                                    Digby

                                                    Dorrington Demons

                                          Ruskington

As soon as I reached Ruskington everything started hurting! My legs weren't too bad still, but my left toe was quite painful, and the balls of my feet hurt everytime I stepped on a stone- which was often! The last part of the walk I remembered quite well, as it's along a canal path back into Sleaford, and I knew it would feel endless!




The last checkpoint was just at the start of the canal path so I downed the last of my coffee before steeling myself for the last stretch. One of the checkpoint helpers had written '2 miles to go!' on the water cups.

My toe nail was really sore now and it was hurting to walk. I must have been walking funny, but had deliberately saved a snickers for this bit so I could comfort eat my way back to Sleaford.



I finally finished in 8 hours and 5 minutes- I was really pleased with this as it was only 20 minutes slower than my 2008 time and of course I had done the 28 1/2 mile Dave Lewis the day before!

Surprisingly enough my legs are fine- but my left toenail is a funny colour and is still throbbing a fair bit!

Off to Sunny (I hope!!) Spain tomorrow to see Dad, so will probably be a fairly easy week- give the feet chance to heal!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Congrats for your challenges and thanks for sharing!
 
Well done.

Look after that toe!
 
Hi Steph,

It was good to meet up and say "Hello".

Amazed that you managed to finish the S&S the next day after the long slog of the Dave Lewis Walk.

What's next ?
 
very impressive... and some fantastic photos too! Good luck on your next venture.
 
Thanks a lot folks, lovely to read your comments.

Ross- it was great to meet you, I am still thinking about the marathon challenge but am considering taking two years rather than one- I think you are right!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?