Wednesday, July 02, 2008

 

Grand Prix Race 3; Ruddington Country Park

Now last year I found this one the toughest race for some reason, even though it's only four miles... and lo and behold, this year I still found it the toughest one! Ruddington Country Park is fairly near where I work; a nice area with paths, play areas and a lake. I quite often walk round here before going to my friend at Loughborough as I finish work earlier.

There seemed to be a lot more people doing this one; as usual I got there hideously early as it wasn't worth going home. I went to Morrisons and bought some bananas, parked up at the Country Park and munched a banana and cereal bar. It was lovely and peaceful until a family parked up next to me and decided to play a noisy game of rounders with the kids- in the car park! The sound of their ball thudding against the car repeatedly was more than a little distracting...

The organisers had laid on some portaloos, which was a welcome sight as last year the loo queues were horrendous; there are loos in the park- but only one each for ladies and gents! I managed to get changed in the ladies as it wasn't too busy, then killed some time looking for familiar faces; it's surprising how quickly you get to recognise fellow runners, even for visually dyslexic folks like me!!

I always need the loo umpteen times before the start, and as I couldn't see Meryl I decided to walk to the start via the loo. There was still a long queue for all the loos but I remembered that there were more in the visitors centre where they were taking late entries; very few had cottoned onto this so bingo, no queues at all!

I walked to the start which was in the middle of the park, and saw Meryl. We joined the throng, and didn't hear the starting hooter so it was a bit of a surprise when everyone suddenly started running!

The course took two laps around the park, circling the lake. It was really warm, yesterday must have been one of the hottest days of the year! It was fairly flat, with a few undulations which felt surprisingly difficult in the latter stages. I think I possibly set off too fast, as by 1 1/2 miles I was struggling a little. I was convinced they had moved the 2 mile marker, and it was a relief to pass it and realise we were now on the second lap. I kept thinking I was going to have to slow my pace- everything hurt and my breathing was crap, so frustrating! I still managed to overtake a few though, and recognised some familiar faces from the previous races. By a cruel twist, after the 3 mile marker we ran behind the finish line to loop back on ourselves, and it was quite demoralising to see the crowd of runners who had already finished.

My body kept screaming at me to stop, but I willed myself to keep the pace (isn't it funny how once you have overtaken somebody you really don't want them to come past you again!); finally we turned the corner and were faced with a short sloping grassy section to the finish. I tried a sprint finish although had that lovely if-I-push-any-more-I-am-going-to-throw-up feeling; a woman drew level with me and I assumed she'd pass me but I managed to find a little bit extra and finished just in front of her. I was really pleased to see my time; 35 minutes 5 seconds, a PB! Last year's time was 36 minutes 52 seconds. I heard several people saying they found this race the toughest! I got a juice and went back to the finish to cheer Meryl in; there were a few runners behind me waiting for a friend to come in. When some runners appeared in the distance, I heard one say "Is that her?" "Nah" said her companion "Not fat enough!!"

Meryl finished and said that she had also struggled, in fact she said she had spent quite a lot of time telling herself that no way is she running the last race at Colwick Park, but that resolution lasted only until she crossed the line so she will be there!!

One lady, who finished just behind Meryl, had run 5k races in the past and had recently done the Race For Life. She wanted to keep up the running; Meryl had seen her at Wollaton and persuaded her to try Ruddington, so she was really chuffed as it was the longest distance she had ran so a brilliant result!

Just a 5 miler at Colwick park tomorrow and that's it! Gives rain- lovely- but can't possibly be any wetter than last year. Then training resumes as normal next week... I have really neglected the distance stuff as these races are quite intensive, so will need to get back into that next week and up the mileage as the last two weeks totals have been sadly lacking!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?