Thursday, December 10, 2009

 

Event Report- The Beacons Ultra

Last weekend saw the second Beacons Ultra, where once again us mad ultra-types descended upon peaceful Welsh villages!

This year the route had changed, starting from Talybont-on-Usk rather than Brecon. Us MdS vets stayed in the White Hart Bunkhouse, attached to the White Hart Inn in Talybont- small, cosy but rather cold, especially at night! It was great to see everyone again and we had our usual communal cook Friday night followed by a couple of drinks in the pub.

The Beacons Ultra course consists of two laps, which together make 45 miles. Due to my dodgy knee I had already decided on just aiming to complete one lap, which would still make a respectable 22/ 23 miles. Registration and start was at the Leisure Club just outside the village, where we were greeted by Sue and Martin of Likeys, who are top people, and Al Silcock and Kobus who were marshalling the course.

This year the event started at 7am rather than 8am so there was a mad dash for the 2 bathrooms from 5:30am onwards! It was still pitch black when we reached the start- in fact, it felt like the middle of the night as I don't think any of us slept too well. Once we were off I slipped into my usual place- right at the back- as everyone else fast disappeared into the distance! Ah well- I had decided to just take my time and enjoy it.


The Start!

The first part of the route was easy- 3 miles along the canal- and I jogged a lot of it. We left the canal just after dawn broke properly and were faced with the major new addition to the route- a 500 metre climb!


Views On The Climb



It started off desceptively gently but it was only when I passed a farm and rounded a bend did the full extent of the climb present itself! I was faced with a seemingly verticle climb, with tiny dots moving way in the distance which I assumed were my fellow runners. The following photo doesn't really do the climb justice;


The First Climb!

In fact, that wasn't even the top- when I reached the highest point in the above photo, yet more steep climb revealed itself- and we still weren't done! It was very windy and rather cold- I had to break out my gloves. There was a check point at the top but by the time I got there they had prudently decided to descend slightly to a more sheltered spot and were attempting to erect a shelter.

There was quite a good descent from the top, and the sun actually came out.


The Event Was Well Supported By The Locals


Rare Sunshine!

This was quite pleasant walking, although we then had to leave the road at the next checkpoint and descend a muddy track to join the fire road through Talybont Forest.


Descending Towards Talybont Forest

From here on the route was the same as last years. I spotted a kit bag full of food lying beside the track and was considering taking it with me to hand in at the next checkpoint when it suddenly occured to me that someone may have stashed it there for the second lap and I may be depriving them of much needed supplies which may just prevent them from completing the race, so I left it where it was.

The fire road seemed even more endless than last year, even though part of it had been cut out- possibly because I was on my own so didn't have the opportunity to chat to anyone (apart from a few stray sheep and between you and me I don't really think they were listening).

It was a relief to see the next checkpoint and start the long pull up to the Gap.


The Gap

It was a lot wetter underfoot than last year and very muddy in places. Sadly, that was the last we saw of the sun and the clouds started to gather. The climb up to the gap seemed quite gentle after the last climb, and luckily this year there was no ice!


The Gap Road

I actually kept upright this year and managed what was quite a speedy descent for me!


Descending From The Gap

Kobus and James were manning the last checkpoint, and as promised had got a roaring fire going. Kobus toasted me marshmallows- what a star! I had a sit down for a few minutes whilst I ate them and as I left they were putting chestnuts on to roast- got to hand it to Kobus, whatever he does, he does with style!

I reluctantly left and started down the rough, uneven track I remembered so well from last year- which this year had the delightful addition of ankle deep sections of water. This is where me, Rach and Carol were lapped last year- and where I was again lapped this year by the same guy- Mark Palmer, who finished the 45 miles in an astonishing 06:48:10!


Looking Towards Brecon

As I reached the road it started to rain- we had had a couple of showers but it was now clearly set in for the rest of the day so I got my waterproofs out and trudged along roads and through wet and muddy fields.

The last few miles was along roads and the canal back to Talybont. I was lapped by several people and expected to be lapped by one of the MdS folks at any time. It was absolutely pouring by this point so I took comfort in a Snickers and jogged a few times. It started to feel a bit endless but at last I reached Talybont and was directed off the canal to the finish at the Leisure Club by Al. I saw the finish sign and decided to run to the finish- then realised I had to run downhill, through trees and back up again to reach the line!

My time was a rather pathetic 8 hours something. I got a fantastic welcome from Sue and a goody bag containing a cap and a mug, plus mule bar and emergency blanket (funnily enough I had purchased one from Likeys the night before as it was on the kit list and the MdS had trashed mine!)

When I got back to the bunk house, I was surprised to see Sharky- I hadn't noticed him pass me on route. He hadn't-he said he had pulled out at 30 miles as he was feeling rough. Mike A had also pulled out with nausea after one lap, and poor Andy had been really ill, abandoning just short of one lap. Jo had decided to just complete one lap as she had injured her ankle, sensible decisions.

After a shower we sat in the pub and waited for everyone else to filter in. I have to say I really adnired them as I am not sure I could have done another lap in the dark and driving rain.

I felt my knee a couple of times when descending but it soon went off and it has been fine ever since- I have rested it this week, just doing a little walking. I achieved my onjective of completing one lap without injuring my knee, so I am quite happy with that. If I do this again next year I will definately aim to complete two though!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Well done.

Glad the knee held out.
 
Well done, it looks an awesome event (Love the sheep photo).

The guy from our running club did the full distance in 9hrs 42mins, which is fantastic.

I'm busy planning next years insane events list. I do it every year and then lose motivation by Jan 2nd.

Have decided to try and get a minimun of 10 Marathons (10 in 10), but would like to do 20 full ones (20 in 10) for charity.

Most of them will be walking events, but there will still be some running ones.

I've just got to set up the Blog (on here) so that people (from work as well) can track the progress.

But like I said, come Jan 2nd .....
 
Thanks Andrew- it's been fine since touch wood!

Thanks MB, the scenery was fantastic. The guy from your club did really well- nearly took me that long to do just one lap!

I am going to have to do some planning for next year- looking forwards to seeing your blog. I like your marathon idea, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer walking to running so I will probably try to do some LDWA events. May meet you at a few!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?