Thursday, June 28, 2007

 

Long Time No Update!

This week has been so busy plus I couldn't get an internet connection last night... but I thought I'd better make an entry on this, one of the most historic days Britain has seen for a while, one which may have an impact for years to come... yes, the Spice Girls are getting back together!!

Saddest news is, mum's dog Alex passed peacefully away in her arms on Monday night, at the caravan. It was expected, he has been slowly deteriorating, but still very sad. At least he went peacefully.

I have been doing a series of four runs, a 'Grand Prix' organised by Holme Pierrepont Running Club in Nottingham; we had a 10k Tuesday at the water sports centre, a 5k tonight at Wollaton Park, a 4 mile run next Tuesday at Ruddington Country Park and a 5 miler at Colwick Park next Thursday. I am doing this with two colleagues; the 10k on Tuesday was a good test for the Achilles. I wasn't expecting a brilliant time, as I hadn't ran for ages and hadn't ran 6 miles for a long time. It was quite demoralising as we could see the finish and hear the cheers for the lead runners when we were only just over half way!

I was pleasantly surprised to finish in just under the hour, better than I expected but the course was pretty flat. One colleague finished in just over 58 minutes and the other shaved over 4 minutes off her last year's time, so good effort all round!

Today's 5k was slightly tougher. It started to pour just as we were waiting for the start, and rained during the run. It was also quite hilly, the route taking us up to Wollaton Hall several times. Some of the route was over grass with pot holes and bogs! I managed to power up the earlier hills, but by the end of the race I felt completely done- I couldn't even manage a downhill sprint finish, and felt I was giving all I had. Maybe I started off too fast, but that was the first actual 5k race I have done, and the first time I have raced just two days apart. One colleague was just behind me, and the other, who thought she'd come last, managed to overtake somebody right on the wire! I finished in under 28 minutes, haven't yet got the times.

I will try to write up more of my Morocco trip, but it will probably be at the weekend... we had a bomb scare at work today which was quite exciting, and we have been told that we are expected to volunteer to help out in case of floods and associated evacuations this weekend, so could be quite interesting!

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Glad you enjoyed the holiday! Look forward to reading more.
 
Thanks Lloyd seems to be taking me ages to get round to writing it up! Hope you are ok
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?