Wednesday, January 03, 2007

 

Gosh, This Year's Going Fast!

...it's the 3rd already! I really want to make great strides this year (literally as well as metaphorically!)

I went for a run last night. Just a little one, as I tend to try to overdo things if I've not ran for a while. I did a nice, slow 3 1/2 miles with no knee or Achilles pain. I had an appointment in the next town tonight to have my eyebrows shaped and brows and lashes tinted, so I walked there- possibly about 5 miles altogether. Although it's next to the main road, it's quite a nice walk.

I think I will go back to the gym tomorrow, haven't been since before Christmas thanks to my cold/ cough. I have a feeling it will be packed out with New Years resolutioners! That always happens... it's packed to the rafters in January and then things die down around March time.

It's a shame when people give up on their goals, but I can't help thinking that so many people make their resolutions to get fit/ lose weight etc and then launch themselves into a totally unsustainable regime- such as going to the gym every day when they have not exercised before!

I think they would be far better trying to change one thing, ie resolving to go for a 20 minute walk twice a week with their partner/ friend/ dog, and then gradually building in more changes. Plus it has to be something they will enjoy doing- if you hate slogging your guts out at the gym, I'm sorry but you are just not going to stick to it! It's not for everybody- so just find what you do enjoy- that 20 minute walk through the park in your lunch break, or a regular cycle ride with your kids.

I have managed to make exercise a part of my life and so it is quite often more painful for me not to exercise. Some of my friends think I take my exercise to the extreme and I think they are worried I am a bit obsessive. Maybe. But the primary motivator isn't to lose weight (although that's a bonus!) My motivator is the fact that I love endurance challenges, and want to do more and more of them. It stands to reason that if I want to attempt a 26 mile in a day challenge walk, a Himalayan trek, an Ironman or even the Marathon des Sables, I have got to be a lot fitter than the average person, and will have to do a lot more training.

Two of my colleagues ran the New Year's Eve 10K I didn't do, and both had good races. One PB'd at 1 hour 11 minutes, and the other finished in 1 hour 5 minutes, which is fantastic as it was her first 10K. I have entered the Tamworth Heart 10K on February 18th (my stepdad's birthday!) I ran it last year in a time of 1 hour 11 minutes so am aiming to beat that- although it is a different route this year which may make a difference?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?