Saturday, April 14, 2007

 

Not Quite The Sahara...

Got back last night after a couple of days in Wells-Next-The-Sea (why isn’t it called Wells-Next-TO-The Sea?? Bad English if you ask me…)

It was a nice relaxing break, I didn’t dare do too much though cos of my Achilles… although it seems to be getting better (touch wood!) I can feel it slightly when I’m walking but it can no longer feel it all the time.

We did do a walk Thursday, along a track alongside the pine woods, down to the Victoria pub at Holkham for a cuppa, back up the track to the small stagnant pond called Salts Hole (famous for being left over from when the land was reclaimed from the sea) before walking back along the beach and the pine woods.

It was a very gentle paced walk, mainly due to my stepfather’s bird watching tendencies (the feathered kind… there seems to come a point in people’s lives, as they age, when they start to develop slight bird watching tendencies. As this progresses, they might start to buy books on bird watching, visit related internet sites, buy the magazines etc until, before you know it, suddenly they are fully fledged ‘twitchers’ - yes, it could happen to your parents!!)

My mum also has 'twitching' tendencies, but hasn't quite got the hang of it... my sis tells me that mum was convinced she'd spotted a completely new species of robin until it was pointed out that she was watching a mars bar wrapper.

The sands round here are blessed with sand dunes, and, although I didn’t dare run, I did walk up and along the lines of dunes to try to get a feel of walking uphill through sand. I couldn’t replicate the heat, of course, but it’s better than nothing. Obviously we are not going to be tripping over sunbathers, kids or loose dogs in the Sahara dunes…

Not quite the Sahara...

Mum with Alex at Salts Hole

I went out for a short walk Thursday night along the path to Wells and back up to the beach. I found a useful steep sandy slope next to the steps leading down to the beach, so walked up and down this as fast as I could for about 15 minutes (definitely something to do in the evening when there’s nobody else around!)

Evening shot of the Albatross, Wells


I think I will try a slow, gentle jog tonight, maybe 2 miles, and see how I go… if I feel pain, I will stop. The gym sounds a good idea for tomorrow morning, not too much running but will get some cross training done hopefully.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?