Monday, May 28, 2007

 

Busy Weekend!!

Just got back from (not so) sunny Blackpool, good but hectic weekend with my older sis and her family.

Saturday, my sis, brother-in-law and me went for a walk... her two lads are now at the age when it is uncool to join in family activities and elected to stay home and hang out with their mates. We decided to 'do' Helvellyn, in the Lakes, as my sis hasn't been there. Plan was to ascend by Striding Edge, and descend via Swirral Edge, taking in Catstyecam.

We parked in Patterdale, amidst the Bank Holiday throng, and started to ascent the path zig zagging up the hillside. We had lovely retrospective views over Ullswater.

Ullswater

Most encouraging for me was the fact that I didn't find it particularly hard work, so the training must be paying off! My bro-in-law is very fit, he does a lot of mountain biking, and sis is also quite fit; they left me standing when we did a similar walk three years ago... but not today!!

There were quite a few walkers around, and it was quite satisfying to see them stop, gasping for breath, whilst we just walked by. We had our lunch stop just before the start of Striding Edge- what a view! We could see the bulk of St Sunday Crag and Fairfield, and make out the sea. I want a view like that every lunch time!

Then it was onto Striding Edge...



Striding Edge

Striding Egde is a famous scramble, a real sharp ridge (or Arete if I remember my geography lessons). There is a path just below the crest of the ridge, but bro-in-law insisted that we go more hardcore and walk along the very top of the ridge. At one point, there are two large rocks separated by a cleft; my sis managed to jump this, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it! Luckily there was away around. Well, I've only got short legs- that's my excuse!!

It was quite hairy, I'm not one of life's natural scramblers and at times it felt like we were clinging to rock with nothing below us. At rhe end is the famous and aptly named 'bad step'; a cleft in the rock, which must be navigated. Both me and my sis had assistance from my bro-in-law, and he then had the job of assisting another couple down; he should have hired himself out!

A fairly steep scramble brought us to a scree path and up onto the summit ridge. There is a large, star shaped shelter just below the summit, and we stopped for a second lunch, chatting with the couple we'd helped down the bad step.





Classic view of Striding Edge

The summit of Helvellyn is very broad (and popular!) and so it is a trek to the edge to get the best views; most of the Lakelend peaks can be seen as it occupies a central point. We could even see into Scotland.


Me at the summit of Helvellyn (my hair is not really like that!)


It was freezing on the summit, in fact it started to sleet, so we quickly descended vie Swirral Edge, which is another sharp ridge but not as pronounced or prolonged as Striding Edge. I am not as my best descending on steep paths with lots of loose rocks or stones! Good practice though...


Looking across at Striding Edge, we could see a queue of people across the ridge, particularly behind the bad step; you can just make them out on the photo below. My sis said it looked like a queue for a NHS dentist!!

Queue on Striding Edge

After a steep ascent and descent of Catstyecam (a cone-shaped hill which rises at the end of Swirral Edge) we picked up a lovely path back round the fell side to Patterdale. This was great; nice gentle descent with gorgeous views. I love the Lakes.


Path to Patterdale


Once back at the car, we called in to the cafe in the car park; 'Fellbites', for a coffee and wedge of cheesecake.

Sunday me and my sis had a riding lesson. This is good exercise as we always help out beforehand... this time of year the ponies are out most of the time, so one lovely job we had was 'poo picking'- literally picking up piles of pony poo out of the field using rubber gloves!

A regular was riding the pony I usually ride, so I opted for Bobby, a solid brown pony. I was warned he tends to take off like a rocket when he canters and bends round the corners of the indoor school like a motorbike on the wall of death! So I was actually quite nervous- but he wasn't that bad, he must have been having a lazy day!!

My legs and arms are aching quite a bit now though... not so much the walking, but a combination of the scrambling, plus the riding... good training though, particularly as I'm in Morocco in a fortnight! However, my walking boots are starting to split at the heel and sole, and I'm concerned that they may not last the Atlas trek... I need new ones but my washing machine decided to pack in last week, typically, so will have to sleep on it and decide over the next few days...

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?