Monday, September 17, 2007

 

The Ponton Plod

Buckminster Water Tower

I completed the Ponton Plod yesterday- a 27 mile walk around the Grantham area. I managed not to get a speeding ticket on the way over, and got to the starting point at Great Ponton village in plenty of time to buy a round of toast and jam. This is a fairly new challenge walk, only the second year it's been held, so there wasn't a big field. There was a shorter route of 17 miles which most had opted for, with about 35 doing the full route.

As we set off, it was apparent that most of them were runners, and quickly left me in their dust! We were very lucky with the weather, it was dry and mostly sunny, and turned very warm in the afternoon.
Great Ponton is right next to the A1, so at the start we had to cross it using a footbridge. Good bridleway tracks took us through a golf course and through the estates of a large country house currently being restored. The routes split here, most opting for the 17 mile route (they don't know what they're missing!!) After passing an ornamental lake, we walked through the sandstone village of Stoke Rochford before a mile of road walking. As most of the route is in Lincolnshire, it is fairly gentle with some climbs but nothing too taxing.

We passed through Skillington before taking a track leading to Buckminster water tower. Last year it seemed endless, but this year I was prepared for it so it wasn't too bad! I stopped to take a photo of the water tower (above), and decided to jog to the check point just past it. Justas I nearly got there, I went to check my route description... to find I hadn't got it anymore! Thinking I must have dropped it where I took the photo, I ran back to the spot and luckily it was there- it was quite windy so got knows what I would have done had it blown away!
Cursing myself I ran back- again- to the check point and had some cake and a banana, whilst some other folks checked in.
The next part of the route followed the Mowbray Way, and went across fields to Sproxton village. The terrain was quite interesting; it is a very agricultural area so there was lots of walking through ploughed fields and very uneven ground. Good training though for different types of terrain that could be encountered on the MdS!



Glider Being Towed, Near Sproxton
The next bit of the route took us past gallops (being used by a lone horseman) and past an isolated church. There must have been a motorbike ralley on, as they could be heard for miles. When the route left the road and climbed uphill, I could just make them out in a nearby field.
The route reached the pretty little village of Saltby and turned down a hidden footpath (which I walked straight by last year). The countryside was lovely here, wide open fields, lots of little woods and ponds.

Ponds Near Saltby

The halfway point was a little further on, after an extremely rutted track and more ploughed field walking, at Croxton Kerrial Village Hall. There was a lady marshalling the crossing point over the main A607 Melton to Grantham road, and her grandson directed me to the hall, he seemed quite proud of his responsibilities and told me he recognised me from last year, which is slightly worrying!
There was substantial food here, sandwiches, malt loaf, mini mars bars etc, plus a very welcome cup of coffee. A couple came in and joined me, the lady walks regularly with the Lincolnshire LDWA group. Apparently there were three others being us, a chap and two girls; they all came in whilst I was there.
It was a bit of a wrench leaving but I left just ahead of the others. The route was quite undulating from here, and once it reached Harston there was more road walking to reach Sewstern Lane. This is an ancient track, but instead of going down here we turned onto a cycle track following the course of an old railway. It made for some easier walking.
Once at Denton, the route took us up to Denton Reservoir, sparkling in the sun.
Denton Reservoir
More big field walking brought us to the village of Harlaxton, where there was another check pint and cuppa! It was really warm at this point and I was feeling a little dehydrated. My legs had also started to ache a bit, but nothing too serious.
After the check point, there was quite a sustained climb, with a great view back over the crop fields to Harlaxton. I remember looking back for signs of other walkers, and feeling surprised thatI couldn't spot anybody, but looking at the photo I can clearly see four others starting the climb! (may be a bit small to spot here though!)


Looking Back To Harlaxton
There was another bit of road walking before another footpath through field filled with loads of timid sheep, including a much heavier, thickset breed I'd not seen before.
The last checkpoint was at Wyville, a small hamlet boasting a church, couple of houses and not much else. I was asked how many were behind me, and replied five, but was then told that there were eleven people unaccounted for!
I left the check point, wanting to finish. The last bit of the route was gently undulating and finished on bridleways; I amazed myself by actually jogging most of the last mile!


Footbridge Over The A1
The meal at the finish was soup- parsnip and apple, which was surprisingly tasty- and apple pie and custard, which really hit the spot. I heard that all walkers had now been accounted for, and the five who were behind me arrived.
My time was 8 hours 21 minutes- 22 minutes quicker than last year's time so I'm quite chuffed with that! I was a little stiff afterwards, and am today, but not too bad. I treated myself to a light pack, so was only carrying waterproofs and two small bottles of drink.
All in all- good day and good result!





Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?