Sunday, November 11, 2007

 

A Year Of Blogging!

I have just realised I have been writing my inate ramblings here for over a year now!!

I've had quite a good week; Tuesday I ran 10 1/2 miles, gradually increasing the distances forthe Turkey Trot half marathon. It went well, had a bit of a panic when I got back as there seemed to be a bit of a twinge around my right heel area and a bit of grinding around the left. Only when I massaged the left heel, it went off and seemed to be in a different area to theAchilles. It hasn't come back. The twinge in the right heel turned out to be an aching muscle in my calf, thank God!

Wednesday I joined a friend for an exercise class in Syston. I had walked there, about 3 miles there and back, and thought it was quite easy although she was complaining of not being able to move the day after! I must admit to feeling rather good though- she hadn't seen me for ages and said 'I can't believe how skinny you are!' Well, I am not sure skinny is the right word exactly (unless she meant skinny in relation to a walrus) but she did know me when I was 3 1/2 stones heavier!

Thursday was a gym night, but slightly more gentle than usual as I was feeling rough (women will understand, that's all I'm saying!) I still managed 3 miles on the treadmill though.

Friday was most strenuous of all- a pizza takeaway at my mate's house- god it was tough!!

Saturday I decided on a cross country run. My usual short route of about 5 1/2 miles goes through Rearsby, and past Thrussington Mill before turning back to Thrussington. It is possible to go right here instead, and run to Hoby. I planned to cut through to the end of Rotherby and through Brooksby back to Rearsby.

I had my Lifeventure pack with water bottle and camera on my back, and set off through Rearsby to find my plan thwarted; the bridge at Thrussington was closed as it's apparently unsafe (how many times have I ran over it this year!?!) A diverted route followed the stream, first on a good path then on an uneven, overgrown path before reaching a large field. I was able to follow the stream and cross it to get back on my intended route- think the detour ended up being slightly longer.

The old bridge over the stream is now disused and there is a brand spanking new one...

New Bridge!

I carried on to Hoby, but when I got to the path to Rotherby, I felt good, so decided to carry on upstream and cut up to the top end of the village. There is a permissive path of about a mile just before the footpath, which follows the stream and railway, so I added this on as well!

I dropped down through Rotherby village, and through Brooksby Agricultural College campus, stopping for a Hobnobs flapjack. There was a long, steady climb from here on, and unfortunately the wind was blowing against me for most of the way back (why is it that whichever direction you are facing, the wind is always against you?

Hoby Mill

As I dropped down to Rearsby I couldn't resist taking a photo of the stark branches of this tree silhouetted against the grey sky.

I have no idea how long the run was (I am rubbish at guessing distances... I only know the length of the runs I do at night cos I borrowed a Garmin ages ago from somebody at work and measured all my different routes) I'd estimate approximately 8-9 miles. Legs were aching a bit but that was all.
I felt strong this morning, so had a good gym workout, covering 3 1/2 miles on the treadmill, and concentrating on 6.3mph, 6.5mph and 6,7mph with a couple of faster bursts. Did some separate resistance work on the ellipticals plus the other usual stuff.
So- total running this week was about 25 miles, which I am quite pleased with! Might top that this week though, as I have the 15 mile Seagrave Wolds challenge Saturday...


Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?