Wednesday, January 02, 2008

 

Happy 2008 Everyone!!

A very happy 2008 to one and all!! I must admit, my very first thought of the New Year was "Sh*t, I am doing the MdS NEXT year!!!"

Now is a good a time as any to review progress over the last year... my goals for 2007 were as follows, with my comments in red;

I will have undertaken the Belvoir Challenge in a faster time than before (I took 10 minutes longer... but it is a different route each year, plus several folks reported that their GPS said the route was more like 28 miles than 26... that's my excuse...)

I will have undertaken the Charnwood Challenge in a faster time than before (Yes- took nearly an hour off my time!)


I will have undertaken at least one Triathlon. There is a local sprint Triathlon around May I might aim for (no- mainly due to the fact that I can't swim!!)

Will have undertaken the Barrow Classic 10 in a faster time than before (No- this race wasn't organised this year, plus I was injured)

To run a sub 60 minutes 10K! (Yes!! Every 10k this year has been a sub 60 minutes!)


Will have undertaken a half marathon race, not sure which one yet though (Yes! I have done two!!)

I will undertake the 56 mile
Bullock Smithy Hike this year- had to withdraw last year due to a chest infection (No- decided this would be too far, this year though...)

Will have undertaken a trekking holiday in Morocco, and climbed Mount Toukbal; this is booked for June this year!!! (Yes!!!)

I will keep a training log, something I have never done before. I will also try to work out how to link to other blogs down the side of the screen- I can’t do it! (I did manage to link to the blogs, but have been less than successful in keeping the training journal apart from on here)

I will get to a weight I am happy with, and tone my body. Rather than have a specific weight in mind, I will see how I feel, after all muscle weighs more than fat. (This is kind of ongoing. Despite all the training I don't actually feel well toned).

2007 Review

When I started this blog, I originally intended to do triathlons with the possibility of building up to an Ironman, but the MdS kind of overtook that!

The best bits were;

The not so good bits;

Plans/ Goals/ Aims for 2008

Obviously the Mds is going to dominate 2008 training plans. I am going to have to increase the distances covered each week, but gradually so as to avoid injury. I will start with 30 miles a week and build up slowly from there. I am going to keep up the long walks as well as build up the length of my runs. I will need to introduce consistent pack training, gradually increasing the weight of the pack. I will also need to introduce back to back runs.

By this time next year I would like to be covering 50- 60 miles per week, and be training with full pack weight. This will set the scen for the final push to peak at 70 miles some weeks before tapering for the event itself.

I will have indertaken some 50 mile events, including, finally, the Bullock Smithy Hike.

I would like to sub 2 hours for a half marathon, and maybe sub 55 minutes for a 10k. However, I won't be doing many 10ks. Like Lloyd, I have found that training to run these distances is counter productive, as the need to taper before the even means that weekly mileage for that week is compromised. I think the training needs to go beyond the 10k distance and I will need to concentrate on slower, longer mileage events such as 10 miles and over. I will still probably do a few 10k's though.

I'd like to beat my time for the Belvoir Half, Grindleford Gallop, Valleys 'n' Views etc.

This year I will also need to test equipment/ clothing for the MdS. By this time next year I will need to have a clear idea of what I am going to take and how to use it!

I am also going to get back to the swimming lessons and get my bike in working order; I'd like to have a bash at a triathlon or duathlon, besides I think the cross training will help with overall fitness and avoiding injury.

I should also add eating much more healthily as I have been eating far too much crap lately and need to fuel my body properly if it is to function under the increased training!! (Isn't chocolate one of the major food groups though??) Oh, suppose I should try to limit my coffee intake...

I would like to lose more weight and tone up but am not going to obsess over it as it may well happen naturally as I increase the mileage (we can hope!!)

I would also like to undertake a long distance path- there is one called the Leicestershire Round circling Leicestershire, it's 100 miles long and I was toying with the idea of doing it over 4 days, say 25 miles a day, which would also be good back to back training.

Phew!! Think I will have to get out for a run now after all that!

Hope 2008 is a great year for us all, especially those doing the MdS this year!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
haha - If I were you I'd do the exact opposite of me as it's very much trial and error.

I think 10k's and the like are ok in moderation, and help you to build and maintain your basic speed but as the year progresses I'd suggest to move your focus onto longer stuff. On the flipside if you dont do a short event every now and then, its odds on you'll lose some of your speed. The alternative is to do one speed/tempo session a week, which is shorter but far more intense than normal. Say for me this is 3-6 miles as hard as I can (did my first one yesterday and boy was it hard!). Ironically its these sessions that will improve your half mara and mara times as much as your endurance runs. The problem I have is the self discipline to do them! It's made me realise that doing the MdS is not always about distance but as much about quality miles.

I'd say that if you continue as you are then a sub 55min 10k is a given. I just looked at a running calculator which suggests that the 10k equivalent of a half mara time is 53.56 so perhaps you should have this at the back of your mind. Maybe even progress to a marathon or two towards the end of the year, although I know you are far more into the LDWA type of stuff than me.

The other thing I'd suggest is not to build up your mileage too quickly. I've also found it useful to have the odd 'fallow' week where mileage is halved before carrying where you left off to let the body recover a bit.

On another note I do have the Belvoir Half at the back of my mind so will let you know if I decide to do it.

Hope you are having a good start to the New Year.

Lloyd
 
Thanks Lloyd, this is good advice and much appreciated. I still feel very much a running novice and still have loads to learn!

I have been thinking of building up to running the LDWA events as they are the marathon distance. I'd still like to do some 10ks too like you say and the shorter harder runs make sense.

Be good to see you at the Belvoir Half- give me a shout if you do decide to do it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?