Sunday, February 03, 2008

 

Accurate Mileage!!

The Garmin is going to revolutionise my training! Never again will I have to go with a rough guestimate of my weekly mileage!! I can't get over being able to glance down at the little watch like gadget on my wrist and seeing exactly how far I have ran and how fast I am running at that moment!

Been back up to 30 miles this week, nearly all running. Tuesday, the Forerunner try out night, I covered 7 1/2 miles, after a stop off at mum's and a bit of stop starting trying to get it to work.

Wednesday I ran to the body toning class, did the class and went for a bit of a run after, covering 6 miles, with a pack. Of course, with the Garmin, you have to hang around for a few minutes looking busy whilst it picks up signals from various satellites hovering around in space somewhere... I was feeling particularly energetic when I got home so used my mini stepper whilst watching 'Shameless'.

Thursday was a gym session, with 3 1/2 miles running/ walking on incline on the treadmill along with the usual strength training and elliptical work. I have eased off the stepper a bit due to the dodgy knee but this seems to be a lot better now so I am gradually introducing it back into my work out.

Saturday I had the idea of combining a couple of my cross country routes to make a large circuit of what I imagined might be 10 miles, but I can now reliably inform you all it's exactly 11 1/2 miles! I took my pack, not too heavy as yet, and expected conditions underfoot to be quite dire, but it wasn't too bad at all.

I headed to Rearsby and then out along the river along a permissive path, before crossing a huge field and bridge towards Hoby.


Near Hoby

More running by the river before making a right turn towards the village of Rotherby. You can see the fairly typical scenery for this part of the world in the next photo- gently undulating and the traces of the old 'ridge and furrow' farming system can still be seenin the field just below the line of trees.


Approaching Rotherby

I had to dash over the main A606 Leicester to Melton Road after Rotherby and took a bridleway through a farm, apparently part of the 'Midshires Way'. The route was rather undulating here, with a few climbs, before turning left and meeting the road to Gaddesby. I had a little undulating road running before picking up the footpath back to Rearsby. I had a little walk whilst I ate my hobnobs flapjack, before more field running. I can also inform everybody that my pace officially stayed between 4.5 mph and 6 mph!

Ruined Farmhouse On Footpath
I am very intrigued by this old ruined farmhouse and would love to find out more about it. According to the map, it is known as 'Spurrs Lodge'. I just find myself wondering again what life was like for the inhabitants back then... it is quite an isolated, exposed spot.
After passing through a rather more modern and inhabited farm a couple of fields further on, warily watched by two elderly border collies, it was a gentle downhill back to Rearsby apart from a sprint back across the A606 bypass.
I went to the gym again this morning, with another 3 1/2 treadmill miles plus the other usual stuff, so total weekly mileage is... 32 miles, nearly all running.
I have also booked my flights to Spain- 16th July to the 23rd July- hopefully it will be seriously hot!


Labels: ,


Comments:
Glad you're liking the new gadget. Just one taste and you are hooked! I couldn't do with a GPS. Before long you'll be downloading your routes into Google Earth/Memory Map and posting them up, showing off the hill and speed profiles etc.

Good to hear training is going well.
 
Hi Steph. Hope you don't mind me commenting - I have been on the MdS forums (a long time ago when I first got a waitlist place so you may not remember me). Am no. 7 on the waitlist so hoping I'm pretty much in. Just been reading your blog. Training sounds like its going really well. Are you aiming to run/walk or both the MdS? I'm a definite walker and centering my training around that (tho still running as doing Dublin Mara in October. Will pluck up the courage to venture on to the forum at some point. Just thought I'd say hi! Rach
 
Thanks Rich; I would love to get the hang of using Google Earth etc but not sure whether I'll be capable of that! Your training is going amazingly well, I am impressed!
Hi Rach; I do remember you and was wondering how you were doing! I should think you will be in for the MdS, scary eh! I am hoping to be able to run some of the MdS but will probably end up walking a lot which is fine as I am really just aiming to complete it!
Great to hear from you, keep us updated on your training! Look forward to talking to you on the forum!
Steph
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?