Monday, February 25, 2008

 

Weekend At The Seaside!

Riverdance At Low Tide


Riverdance And Cargo At High Tide


I've just had three days off training, visiting my eldest sister and her family in Blackpool. I took Katie with me so there wasn't really any opportunity to do any running or walking but I got in about 26 miles in the week before (3 1/2 miles at the gym Monday, 10 miles Tuesday, 5 miles with pack plus body toning Wednesday and 8 miles running/ walking Thursday). Guess a few days off won't hurt.

It was good to spend time with my sister, brother-in-law and two nephews. Saturday we went into Blackpool and did the shopping thing; everyone has probably heard about the ferry, Riverdance, which is currently stranded on Blackpool North Beach... it was battered by fierce storms on 1st Feb and the crew eventually had to abandon it when it started to list. They were all winched off by helicopter I believe, and the ship was left to wash up onto the beach.

It was full of cargo- trailers containing various goods, and there were apperently packets and packets of McVities chocolate biscuits washed up on the beach (what a waste!!) It was originally almost upright, but is now on its side; I think they are intending to refloat it. When we first saw it it was high tide, so it was half submerged but still an impressive sight. There were piles of waterlogged cargo near where we stood, and loads of onlookers.

Me and Katie went back to see it with my brother-in-law, at 8:30am Sunday morning when it was low tide; it was a wild morning, windy with driving drizzle. It was even more impressive; we went onto the beach and I got as close as I could to it before the one of the guards in yellow jackets started waving his arms at me. Not a sight you see everyday, anyway!!

We did more shopping in the afternoon (a hard life!) I have had a few hours off this morning but am going into work in a bit. My mum is unwell at the moment; she has had a very nasty chest infection and also appears to have picked up a stomach bug too, so will call in on tonight's run (and hopefully avoid catching anything!)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?