Saturday, April 19, 2008

 

13 Miler

I reeeally didn't want to go out today... I kept procrastinating, finding other jobs that needed doing, and the thought of a long walk or run just did not appeal at all... sometimes it is just so hard to motivate yourself to get out of the door...

In the end I bribed myself with a snickers and Ben and Jerrys ice cream and picked a route from my copy of John Merril's Long Circular Walks in Nottinghamshire. The only criticism I have with John's books is that he wrote them some time ago and some of the routes have changed slightly since, which can lead to me getting a little lost, or nearly getting arrested on suspicion of being a terrorist at Radcliffe Power Station...

I decided on a 13 miler starting and finishing at Cotgrave, a village fairly near Nottingham. It is absolutely freezing at the moment, and really grey, I just want Spring to come!! I pulled my gloves on and started on the road out of the village, with my pack weighing around 5 kg. My body was still sulking at being dragged out, so decided to make it a steady walk, no running.

The first 6 miles were along the Nottingham to Grantham canal, and were really pleasant. There is a really good path running alongside the canal, which was empty for most of the way. It is 33 miles from Nottingham to Grantham- I did it, once, years ago as a challenge walk, and it's amazing how walking along the flat for this distance hurts the muscles. I thought to myself that it may be good practice for walking along those Saharan salt flats!

I stayed on the canal past Cropwell Bishop and left it at Kinoulton, I was a bit bored of the scenery by then and ready for a change. The snickers was history... The next stage was through fields and skirting a wood, it was a bit of a climb and quite muddy. There was a short stretch along the A46 after this, which is an extremely busy road, I stayed on the verge but it was a bit unnerving, having the wind from speeding lorries whistling round my ears.

The next part was lovely- a bridleway through Cotgrave woods, which I never knew existed. A final walk through Clipston-on-the-Wolds and field brought me back to Cotgrave. I will definately do that one again- easy to follow, and no cows! Would be a good route to run, especially in drier weather.

I popped into Aldi on the way back and bought 2 base layer t-shirts, a running top and long sleeved running top, plus sports ear phones that will actually stay in my ears all for under £25! Ok, they may not be the best quality but will do to train in!

So- total miles this week, including today and the 4 miles I walked last night... 35. May do more tomorrow, will see.

I was looking forward to doing the Valley n Views again this year on Sunday 27th April... it's a good route and I was planning to run part of it, but Katie turns 21 on the 30th April and is having a party on Saturday the 26th... it will be a late night, plus all the family will be here on the Sunday so looks like it's a no go... I have had my place in the Ridgeway Walk confirmed though.

I have been hunting through the old route descriptions I've kept from various challenge walks over the years, and plan to do some of the routes again this year.

It's that time of the month, curse of all womanhood, where I just want to disapear into a mound of chocolate, ice cream etc so am feeling slightly sick...

Labels: ,


Comments:
Would you believe, I have just discovered your blog!!!!!!????? Huge amounts of great reading for me to do, in between the bodies. I'll start tomrrow.

Huge hugs,
Craig
 
Hi Craig
Glad you've found my blog!! I don't know about great reading though... the bodies might be more interesting than my drivel!! ;-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?