Thursday, April 03, 2008

 

Feeling A Wee Bit Scared...

... I have been glued on and off to the Darbaroud site anxiously scanning for news after the MdS long day... and am relieved to see that everbody we know who is still in got through.

But it is really hitting home now. As somebody has said on the forum, we have shared these guys' journeys to the MdS, read details of their impressive training routines, learnt all the details of their preparation; I mean these guys couldn't have done anything more to prepare for it, and were all seriously fit and ready...

And the reports are coming in saying that it is far, far tougher than they ever realised. Some folk seem to be suffering horrendously. I mean, I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park, but part of me is thinking- what makes me think that I, not a natural athlete and previously overweight, school games dodging slow runner, can seriously hope to complete an event of this nature??? There are so many good athletes out there won't have made it... what makes me think I can do it?!?

But then, looking at the positives, I suppose I now truly have a good idea of what I am up against, and we can all learn from each other, and I do have another year although it will fly by...

I think I am going to have to have a serious think about the direction my training needs to take now and aim to be as best prepared as possible! I guess such a lot of it must be mental toughness, and I am quite used to slogging on when I'm in pain and discomfort; so I think I will need to work on my mind as well, and stop contemplating failure!!

Next year, I am going to complete the Marathon des Sables!!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hey Steph, love your post, because I know you can do it. You can do anything you want to. It's about telling yourself that you can do it. As long as you train hard, and within your capabilities then I know you'll complete this thing. They do say that women are much better at endurance events than men, because they have more mental stamina.

You've also done some great events as well, I'm yet to do my first marathon! Well as of next weekend it will be done :) I hope! So keep at it, keep positive, cos I know you'll come through it!
 
Thanks a lot Dan, I think reality is kicking in now!! But perhaps that's not a bad thing as we can prepare as best as we can for it...

Your training sounds pretty impressive, good luck for the marathon I am sure you will do great!

You are so right- lets all stay positive and have a blast in the desert next year!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?