Tuesday, April 01, 2008

 

The Nottingham Eye







I have neglected my blog this week, things have been rather hectic on the home front, and I have been glued to the Darbaroud website looking for news of the lucky lads and lassies battling the Sahara...

Well, I had an adventure of sorts; in Nottingham at the moment we have the Nottingham Eye... a temporary big wheel right slap bang in the middle of Nottingham. It is 200 feet up, with 40 'gondola' capsules, and pretty impressive...

My mum was determined she wanted to go on it, so we decided that last Friday we would definately do it. It had been raining all day, but we were treated to sunny blue skies which was quite lucky. As we approached the wheel, we were taken slightly aback by the sheer size of the thing, and I dragged mum on quick before she had too many second thoughts. The capsules were enclosed, with metal gates either side for entry and exit. I must say, I didn't really get the sense of motion- not like the good old fair ground wheels wher you felt every creak and movement.

The view was excellent though, and a one off chance of seeing Nottingham from above. Mum wasn't too keen and kept swapping sides to avoid travelling backwards, luckily we had a 'gondola' to ourselves! I honestly didn't see the signs advising against standing (and would have probably still ignored them!) so was merrily clicking away at the view.

I think we went round four times in all (although mum maintains it was five) before going for a cappucino to repair her shattered nerves. But she did agree that it was worth the £5 for the experience!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?