Tuesday, April 29, 2008

 

Soaked...

It started off as such a lovely day today I decided to go up to Bradgate Park tonight as I though it would be a lovely evening. It wasn't. My hopes were cruelly dashed as it started to rain shortly after I set off and just got heavier.

Bradgate Park is a deer park and site of the childhood home of the ill fated young queen, Lady Jane Grey. The ruins of the house are still there, and peacocks wander amongst the fallen stones.

It is a decent sized area, and there are quite a few steepish rocky climbs to be found. I have a circuit I thought was maybe 6 miles, so took the Garmin up there to check, and took my 5.3 kg pack. There weren't many people up there due to the rain, but I did pass two groups of runners, who, like me, also saw the potential for hill work. I walked mostly but ran the downhills and a few of the uphills.

Towards the end of the walk it was pouring, windy, I was absolutely soaked and kept stumbling into bogs as I couldn't see through my glasses. I didn't know whether to curse the rain or be grateful for the chance to work through a bit of discomfort. I was quite pleased that the Garmin held up, and showed me that the route was actually a whisker under 6.5 miles.

The party went very well Saturday, and I did get some dancing in and didn't drink all that much. Mum's house was full of relatives next day, but I managed a walk across country in the evening. I didn't take a pack, but walked quite fast as it was getting dark rapidly. I'd guestimate it to be about 8 miles, so total mileage for last week was around 30 miles, which is ok.

I had planned a good week for this week but typically enough life gets in the way, and I have two evening meals out with a possible takeaway!! God, it's tough trying to fit in work, training and a social life!! Mind you, it's the Bank Holiday weekend, and I think I feel a 26 miler coming on for the weekend...

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?