Sunday, May 18, 2008

 

Getting Back To Normal...

I think I underestimated the recovery time from the Ridgeway 40, and how much a 40 miler takes out of the body. Hence the leg pain Wednesday after using the stepper!!

I decided to be really sensible, take the advice given and have an easier week... Thursday the leg was much better, so had a nice gentle stroll in the countryside on my 7 mile route. I could feel a couple of twinges towards the end, and thought I may have overdone it, but it was ok...

Friday I rested and had takeaway pizza! Everything felt fine Saturday so had a really slow and easy 10 mile run, no pack, amazing what a difference it makes listening to music! The best thing was passing groups of kids... I am no longer bothered if they yell abuse, as I can't hear them!

I went back to the gym today for the first time in ages, so thought I'd ease back in- I ran for 10 minutes on the treadmill, walked using the incline function for 10 minutes and ran again for another 10. Then did 20 minutes on the ellipticals (I have discovered that one of the older models doesn't seem to bother my knee), 10 minutes on the stepper at a low level, plus the usual weights/ strength training. My legs have felt a little 'heavy' but otherwise ok.

I am away next weekend- the family are going to Wells-Next-The-Sea! My sis and her family are staying in the van next door to mums, and I will be using the opportunity to run along the beach and over the dunes (although they are rather miniscule and hardly up to Saharan standards!!) if nothing else it will give me the opportunity to look like an absolute t*at in front if everybody, but I'm quite used to that!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hey Steph, it;s very true... it really does take a lot out of the body, especially if you're new to all this. I learnt that in my marathon. Even though I felt fine, when it came to running again, even a few weeks after the event, your body is still recovering. It's amazing though what you regard as normal now. I did back-to-back half maras this weekend and thought nothing of it. 6 months ago I would ahve thought myself a nutter. Keep up the good work, you're going great guns!
 
Cheers Dan, brilliant doing the back to back marathons you will be so well prepared next year!
I will be running along the beach this weekend though!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?