Wednesday, May 14, 2008

 

Leg Pain- Oh Nooo!

Since the Ridgeway 40 on Saturday, I have done very little... so last night I decided to use my stepper for an hour whilst watching telly- nice and gentle hey?

But I have have a pain in my right leg when walking all bloody day!! It's kind of right at the top of the calf, at the back of the knee... I don't know whether it's using the stepper or the cumulative result after the 40 miles!

I guess I know the answer- take it easy this week! Why is it so hard to do the right thing? Why do we always feel we should be training and get the almost irresistable urge to try to push our bodies through injuries when we know deep down it may make it worse and result in being out of action for longer? Answers on a post card...

Rich drew my attention to this link to the 11 major marathon mistakes article... and I think number 5 explains why I got a dodgy tummy; electrolyte drinks AND gel! It's an interesting read, this comment from mistake number 9 made me smile;

Too many marathoners emphasize volume of training over quality. Come on, people -- when you get ready for a marathon, you're not training to run across the Sahara Desert

Oooh yes I am!!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hey Steph, yes you know the answer... take it easy. This is something I didnt think about after my marathon the other month. 3 days later I felt fine, and went for a run and realised just how much it took out of me. Also, even a couple of weeks after, when I tried to up the training back to normal levels, I had loads of niggles, and realised that these events really do take it out of you and that comeback should be slow and steady, so take it easy. My marathon taught me a lot in how to address my training and I've now taken a different approach and am slowly building it back up again to the levels of before my marathon. You've just done 40 odd miles, so your body needs time to recover! Yes that article was also very interesting to read, I like your point that you highlighted too, i noticed that and laughed! Take it easy, and well done on the Ridgeway, a great achievement and you must be feeling very positive now. All the best :)
 
Hey Dan, cheers for this! Just what I needed, it is so easy to see the obvious for others but not always for ourselves I guess!
It's funny how we feel absolutely fine straight after these events, but once we start doing something we realise we are not so fine!
I think that these long events do help us evaluate things and I am sure you must be still feeling positive from your marathon as it was an amazing time!
You are right, of course, I do need to be patient and give my body time to recover. I may just do some gentle walking this week and not even try to run until after next week.
Hope your training is continuing well :-)
 
Hi Steph. Hope your pains are easing. I've done nothing for the past couple of days and would you believe my dicky knee is feeling a little better! Who'd've thunk it? Take it relatively easy.
 
Cheers Al- glad your knee is better, hopefully my leg is now... I guess we have all got to start listening to our bodies!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?