Friday, May 09, 2008

 

Thoughts On The Ridgeway 40...

Tomorrow is the Ridgeway 40... and I have a 2 hour drive to get there and then a 2 hour drive to get home again! The start is at Overton Hill near Marlborough, and we walk 40 miles along the Ridgeway Trail to Streatley near Reading. I am parking at Streatley and have a place on the coach to the start, which leaves at 6:45am!!

Of course, this adds more pressure... miss the start of a normal challenge walk and you have the option of starting later and trying to catch up. Miss the coach and it's rather more of a problem... I maybe should have booked into the Youth Hostel tonight, and am just hoping that the roads will be dead tomorrow morning!

Then there is the question of what to take with me in the nourishment line... there are check points along the route (with some quite tight closing times!) and the walk notes state that they offer 'light refreshments' but I don't know what will be on offer apart from drinks.

So the plan is- mix up a SIS electrolyte and take another for later, when I replenish water at a check point. I am also taking; 2 carbo gels, hot cross buns, Snickers, a flap jack, bananas, digestives and sweets. I think I will try to keep pack weight light. I will also need headtorch, suncream, and, in the interests of blogging, camera.

I don't know if I will run yet, maybe a bit. I will have to go to bed hideously early tonight, which may be easier said than done as all the kids seem to use the shops as a focal point for cycling round in circles, shouting, and riding poxy sewing machined engined scooters round and round, shouting.

I may be very glad of my earplugs.

The plan for Sunday- sleep and eat Ben n Jerry's Caramel Chew Chew ice cream!!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hey Steph, thanks for the comments. Yes, if my marathon has taught me anything it's to look at the quality of the training. I think prior to it, I was just building up the miles for miles sake. Now the quality of the training I"m doing is much better... I hope! Well done on your event as well. Great achievement, and a big physcologial barrier to as well I would have thought! I"m building up to a 100km race in September, but would love to get a big long walk in between then and now...

Only 10 months to go now!
 
Cheers Dan, I think quality mileage over quantity definately makes sense, I am building up a lot of long walks too.
The 100km race will be a huge milestone for you, I can't believe how fast the time is going!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?