Friday, June 20, 2008

 

I Want My Mojo Back!!

I still seem to be finding it incredibly difficult to motivate myself lately... I don't really know what it is... it just seems to be quite difficult to make myself get out there and run/ walk!

I don't know whether it's because the nights are so much lighter which means there are more kids around later, or the fact that nearly every foot path I walk around here now contains cows or just the fact that the training seems to take over your life a bit...

I think that when this year's MdS was going on, and we were all glued to our monitors desperately waiting for news of the guys from the forum, and eagerly devouring their race reports afterwards, we all kind of got the training bug and there was a flurry of activity, and now it still seems to be a bloody long way away and we are faced with months of the same, or rather, more, as we are still building up...

But I will do it. I so want this and will do whatever it takes... the payoff for a few months out of my life is to complete what is known as the toughest foot race on earth!! We had a retirement do at work today and I was asked about the MdS several times as a lot of folks had watched the documentary. Folks were surprisingly supportive although I did hear the word 'crazy' more than once!!

I have been to the gym tonight, done the usual cardio work and core training, including going on the new machine for hill work, which has been christened 'Brian' by Jeff from the forum.

I have also entered the 'Grand Prix' race series I did last year... I was in two minds over this, as it comprises a 10k next Tuesday, 5k next Thursday, 4 miles the following Thursday and 5 miles the following Thursday. I have been concentrating on long walks rather than short runs, but it was good fun last year even if it was rather wet!! My colleague Meryl is doing it, but sadly Mary isn't. I guess the shorter faster runs may even do me some good!

Tomorrow I think I will run 10k and try to go fairly fast... total mileage this week won't be great- about 27- 30- but last weeks was around 45 so not too bad... I really ought to get some sort of a structured plan written out! And start testing equipment... but I'm too skint to actually buy any!

Labels: ,


Comments:
I've been feeling a bit lacklustre too and also suspected it being due to the excitement of this year's event petering out. That and being peed off by injury.

Think i've turned a corner in my head though(Eh?!!). I can see a summer of good training coming on, even if a lot of it has to be cycling or walking to begin with.

Hope you find the mojo soon for your benefit and ours, 'cos i think we're all going to have to share each others at different points in the desert.

AlanC
 
ps i still haven't got around to setting up a website!!
 
I need a plan too!! Where the hell do you get a plan for something like this (as we're all so different). Scary stuff. I'm sure your mojo will return safe and sound and in one piece. You've got pretty impressive mileage under your belt even if its not been a good week! Hope you're having a good weekend tho. I'm hoping to go out for a run tomorrow but I don't think it'll be far! As for the Gobi, I'd LOVE to do it. Perhaps we can earmark that for say, 3 or 4 years' time!! xx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?