Tuesday, June 10, 2008

 

She Passed!!

Katie passed her practical on Sunday!! I'm glad we practiced beforehand as I knew what to expect, but it was still pretty nerve wracking as I had to play my part... I said to her that it was like she was taling her driving test again... and I was the car...

It was a glorious day, and she wanted to pick me up at 8am to give us more chance to practice. Now, when Katie says 8am I know she won't be here until at least 8:15am but we were still there early. She works at the Hinckley Island Hotel, which has it's own swimming pool and gym. The gym is quite small but adequate; we practised and the other two guys taking their exams arrived with their 'cars'.

They had the theory exam first for 3/4 hour, so I made use of the gym- the treadmill and the ellipticals, and did quite a lot of resistance training. Katie had neglected to tell me that the examiner was quite cute, and I was looking rather less than my best by the time they came out!

Luckily Katie went first for the practical- the examiner followed us into the gym and observed, but I don't think he could have heard all of what we were saying. I had to pretend I a) didn't know Katie and b) hadn't been to a gym, as she talked me through stretches, using the treadmill, (another 10 minute run!) bike, elliptical and some of the weights. She was really nervous, bless her, but I threw in some questions for her answer and I think it impressed him.

Afterwards, he told us to meet him outside, and when we sat down he said that she had done really well! She won't get the results of her theory yet but will hopefully be a qualified gym instructor! She has started to give me training hints, such as the importance of varying work outs as the body quickly learns what to expect if you do the same thing every time, and will only put in the minimum effort, therefore not improving.

I still haven't done an awful lot... went on the stepper last night for about 1 hour 15 minutes catching up on 'My Name Is Earl' (very good program!) It is once again a glorious evening, but all the kids tend to stay out later.

This is going to sound very pathetic... I am getting sick and tired of finding field upon field of cows every time I go out...

...although I did have a nice surprise with my 7 miler route that was threatening to vecome impassable- I went out Saturday for 8 miles, with a 5.5kg pack and resigned myself to fighting my way through myriads of nettles. However, somebody had been along and completely cleared the path all the way along... thank heavens for some small mercies!!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?