Sunday, July 13, 2008

 

John Merrill Walks

As I hadn't done any longer walks for quite a while, I dug out my walking books and noticed that in the 'Short Circular Walks in Charnwood Forest' by John Merrill were two walks that were quite close together- one 5 1/2 miles and one 5 miles. I thought it would be interesting to link them both together, so set of with a not too heavy rucksack- probably around 2.5 kg- and headed for Copt Oak. There's a handy lay by for parking at the start of the first walk, at Warren Hills, and I optimistically set off at a jog down the (busy!) road, past the Bull's Head Inn, the highest in Leicestershire (though that's not saying much!) at 787 feet, towards the first footpath.


The Bull's Head Inn

Things fell apart amazingly quickly. I found the farm the guide book told me to pass to get to the footpath, and carried blithely along the road, expecting to see the footpath sign on my right. It wasn't there. So I got out the map, and realised it was literally just past the farm, and I had gone too far. So back I went, to the farm, where there was a footpath sign... going the wrong way! It should go straight ahead, along a track, but this one veered to the left, parallel to the road.

I thought maybe I should retrace my steps a little, so jogged back up the road- nothing. I got the map out- again- and realised that there was only one footpath along the entire road- so the one veering to the left must be the right one. I walked back towards it, and crossed the road to check that there was a bridleway opposite, as there should be according to the map. There was- so it was obviously the right path but I was feeling pretty p*ssed off by now as I had wasted around half an hour with aimless to-ing and fro-ing, not to mention setting a new personal best by getting lost within the first half mile.

The path was pretty enough, but had me concerned as it was going the total opposite way of where I wanted to go, which was up Bardon Hill. I was hoping it had been rerouted, and would veer round to the right and then join up with the path I needed. I passed a few cows- behind a wire fence, yay- and passed this small pretty pool, jogging where I could without the risk of a broken ankle.

Pool Near Footpath

To my releif, the path was well signed and did join the proper track I needed, turning right and ascending to Beacon Hill- I made myself run uphill before joining a really steep slippery track. I had a nice suprise here though- I suddenly came across several raspberry bushes with loads of plump, ripe fruit, so stopped for elevenses!

There's only really one way to the summit of Bardon Hill, Leicestershire's highest point at a lofty 278 feet (again, not saying much! It hardly matches up to the Alps!!) I have probably mentioned this before, but the hill been totally ruined- just past the trig point the earth just drops away and the whole site is one huge quarry.


View Over The Quarry

Apparently there used to be the rest of the hill here, complete with paths and tracks; it's now a huge blank space on the map!

The Trig Point And Summit Of Bardon Hill
After a quick drink, I had to descend by the same track (passing the raspberry bushes again!) and followed a gentle track round the side of the hill through the woods before descending to Greenhill (part of Whitwick). This was near to the end of walk one, and I picked up walk two by jogging along a track connecting Greenhill with Whitwick proper and finding the footpath round another quarry and through fields to Mount St Bernard Abbey. I had walked this bit on the Charnwood Round last September and was mightily relieved to see crops in the fields, not cows! I was expecting it to rain, but apart from a couple of drops, it stayed dry and sunny!
There are a lot of quarries round here, mining granite from the extinct volcanoes- funny to think that Bardon Hill used to be one of a chain of volcanoes rising out of an ancient sea! (I only know that cos I passed an information board at Warren Hills near the end...)

Looking Towards Mount St Bernards Abbey
The route dropped down through fields and woodland to cross the southern tip of Blackbrook Reservoir; I was feeling the heat now but had a slow run when I could, and when the terrain allowed.

Blackbrook Reservoir
There was a bit of road walking afterwards, past Fenney Windmill, to a busy cross roads, which luckily I didn't have to cross. The sun had really come out in force by this time and it was gorgeous!

Fenny Windmill
I turned off onto a track, which led through a huge field of wheat (I think!) to Swannymote Road. There was a large wood on the right, and the guide book suggested going through it to pass the base of a huge rocky outcrop (High Cademan) before turning left and dropping down into Whitwick. I was in two minds, as I was practically bound to miss the left turning and end up wandering aimlessly through the woods for ever, but then thought I ought to have a sense of adventure and decided to go for it! I found the huge rocks making up High Cademan, and took what looked to be the right path. It wasn't- I ended up going through the woods for ages, coming out much higher up than I should have done, and had quite a long road walk back to the route! Should have known...
It was straightforward after that though- back to Whitwick, back along the track to Greenhills, and then over the Warren Hills back to the car. After all the to-ing and fro-ing, aimless wandering and unplanned detours, I reckon I must have done around 14- 15 miles, so not bad! Quite a lot of that was running, too- my left calf feels slightly sore but apart from that, all's ok.
I did the usual gym work out Thursday, and have been walking most evenings, so this week's total is 27 miles so far, but I may walk again tonight. Getting back up there!!
I am flying to Spain on Wednesday, Dad informs me that it was 37 degrees yesterday and they had to sit in the pool to cool off, so should get some idea of how my body copes (or doesn't!) with running/ walking in the heat!






Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?