Thursday, July 24, 2008

 

Spain- Day 6

Day 6
We started the day by souvenir hunting in downtown Catral in one of the little 'Todo' shops (Todo means 'all', and these shops really do sell everything). We met Suki near the school and he followed us around the town and into every shop we went in!

Downtown Catral

In the afternoon, I strapped on the rucksack, added June's two 1 kilo weights for good measure, and set off for a walk. I took the back road out of Catral, which twisted and turned its way towards the back streets of the next town, Dolores.


Cactus

It was hot- around 35 degrees today, but I decided to walk rather than run, and although I tried to keep a good pace, I wasn't sweating too badly. Well, not quite as much as I was when I ran.

Arriving In Dolores
There was supposed to be a shop in Dolores selling the toe socks, but could I find it!! After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I gave up, and walked along the road towards Almoradi until I ran out of pavement. I decided not to continue as the road was really busy and I am not ready to shuffle off this mortal coil just yet. Instead I headed back to the main square in Dolores (which apparently means 'pain' in Spanish!?!) for a drink and a loo stop. I had had concerns about my ability to ask for a.) the loo and b.) a diet coke, but when I finally chose a bar and plucked up the courage to go in, the barmaid turned out to be as British as I am!
I took my drink outside, and when I got up to go, two Spanish blokes at the next table started talking to me. Of course, I couldn't understand what they said, so grinned at them, pointed at my rucksack and mimed running. We had a good laugh even though we couldn't actually understand each other!
I headed back to Catral on a cycle path next to the road, walked around the town, and out to Casica again for a bit of extra mileage.
Casica
It was cloudier now, but very humid. I was out for around 3 1/4 hours, and probably covered around 8- 9 miles without any problems, with a pack weighing around 3.5kg. I was testing tutti fruttis today and they passed with flying colours!



Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?