Thursday, July 24, 2008

 

Spain- Days 4 & 5

Day 4
Saturday was quite a lazy day- we hit the shops!! Did do quite a lot of walking around the large shopping centre in Torrevieja, and I did buy a Cookies 'n' Cream Powerbar from a sports shop to try, so that's ok then!

Oh yes, and I had an absolutely gorgeous white hot chocolate drink- it was just like drinking melted chocolate!


I did give a nod towards the training though, as I set off for a 1 1/2 hour run in the afternoon. I ran down the back roads around Catral, past tumbledown houses and more compounds with large, angry dogs. It was still hot, and I still sweated loads but made sure I kept drinking. I had forgotten to take a cap but managed to pick up a baseball cap on the first day for 2 euros- shame it is a nice lurid orange colour.

Day 5
Dad drove us through San Isidro and up into the Crevillente mountains. I kept hoping my ears might pop, but sadly they didn't... we stopped at a view point to take some pictures;



The Crevillente Mountains

The mountains are a kind of beige colour, dotted with small scrubby bushes, and look very crumbly- as though you might set off an avalanche of stones with every step. But people do walk in them apparently, and I would love to do so one day. They always look so inviting from Catral.

We drove right over the mountains on a switchback road- Dad said that a lorry driver lost it on a bend a short while ago, but was just able to get out and clear before the truck crashed through the road barrier and down the ravine which was amazingly lucky.

After lunch, we drove out to a reservoir, nestling in the foothills. It was quite a large stretch of water, and an amazing turquoise colour totally unlike the reservoirs we have here in the UK.

Reservoir

Afterwards, we went to a castle for a drink... sadly it wasn't an ancient 'conquistador' type crumbling castle but a spanking new modern one, being constructed as a conference hall. There were two adult donkeys in an enclosure nearby and two cute baby donkeys- I couldn't resist getting a photo!


When we got back, I donned the rucksack and headed out for a walk along the roads around Catral for around an hour and a half, getting slightly lost.
We went out for dinner in the evening, so I felt entitled to my jam sponge and custard! (Not very Spanish...)


Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?