Wednesday, July 23, 2008

 

Viva L'Espana- Days 1 & 2

I'm back from Sunny Spain!! Slightly burnt and deaf in one ear, but home...

Day 1
I took my step brother's eldest daughter, Chloe, with me for her first visit; we had a fairly early start- getting up at 4:45am to get the taxi to the airport, but luckily everything went smoothly. It was Chloe's first flight so I very generously let her have the window seat.

I was expecting to land amidst gorgeous blue skies and searing sun, so it was a bit of a shock to come down into black clouds and driving rain! Dad and my stepmum June were waiting, so we dodged the rain (which was mercifully warm) and drove home through a thunder storm. Not the most promising of starts to the warm weather training!!

We looked round a shopping centre Wednesday afternoon, very strenuous! We stocked up on supplies too... I don't know why, but I love looking around foreign supermarkets... especially the foreign chocolate and sweets aisles... call me sad...

It had stopped raining by the evening and was quite muggy, so we sat outside with mugs of milky hot chocolate. We were treated to a terrific electrical storm- me and Dad watched it from the roof terrace (yes- they have a roof terrace!) and I took a (rather boring) video... for some reason it has gone to the bottom of the entry if you really must see it.

Day 2
We went to the beach at La Mata in Torrevieja Thursday morning... I had entertained thoughts of running along it but soon changed my mind as it was absolutely thronged with people of all shapes, sizes and nationalities. So I had to be content with walking along the shoreline, letting the sea wash gently over our feet. We did walk quite a way though, and it's surprising how hot the sand was- I suspect that the sands of the Sahara would be even hotter so doing the MdS barefoot is probably a no no. After a drink, we walked back along the boardwalk, although we were walking quite slowly we must have covered some distance.


Sea At La Mata

Later on, we wandered around the town of Catral, where Dad lives, and ended up at his favourite bar/ cafe, in the square with the church as a backdrop. The bar has a resident dog, Suki, (pronounced Thuki), who is of questionable descent but one of his parents obviously became closely acquainted with a poodle. The bar is Suki's domain, and he will greet regulars and defend it fiercely against other dogs, anything on wheels and, oddly enough, Moroccans. Suki will regularly wander around the town, and can be seen anywhere from the market to wairing for the kids to come out of school- if you ask his owner where he is, he will just shrug and say 'Catral'.


Suki

Later on, I decided to break myself in gently and went for a walk around the town- it was warm, but bearable, and I probably did about 3 miles. Then into the pool for a swim- bit of cross training you know- not bad for the first full day!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?