Sunday, August 17, 2008

 

Back From Wells

Back from sunny Wells-Next-The-Sea, and I'm rather disappointed... I had gone with the intention of doing a little dune/ beach running, but could hardly walk!! My toes seemed to get worse and worse Wednesday and Thursday, especially the big toes- it felt like a dull ache with a sharper pain around the nails. To make matters worse, everytime Jake (the mad dog) became excited about something (which was literally everytime me or mum stood up) he danced around and stood on them, so I spent a large portion of the break swearing!!

Mum was also in pain- she had taken Jake out a few days before, and he started playing with a spaniel friend; the game got a bit wild and they ended up crashing into her leg, leaving it swollen and bruised.

We did get out and about though, as the dogs needed walking... Wednesday it poured and poured when we arrived, huge puddles forming around the caravans. We did chance a walk in the rain, but didn't go too far.

Thursday it was a lot drier, so we walked down into Wells, and back- probably around 3 miles including wandering around the town.

Walking Down to Wells- I Wasn't Holding The Camera Straight!

We stopped for a cappucino outside the Globe Inn- it's a tough life!! Wells is a quiet little place compared to some resorts- it has only one or two amusement arcades situated discreetly and quietly out of the way; it's a place of tea shops and quaint gift/ craft shops, not discos, sirens and noise. The site the van is on, Pinewoods, is the main caravan and camping site in the area, but there is no clubhouse or karaoke evenings, just a little shop and cafe. It's ideal for older folks and bird watchers...

We went for a walk later on, through the woods to let the dogs off for a run; my toes felt so tender, but I tried soaking my feet in a bucket of cold water every night, which I think helped. I couldn't imagine being able to carry on in the MdS like this!

I showed my mum the DVD of Ben Fogle completing the MdS, kindly lent to me by Carol; she didn't seem too fazed watching people receiving IV's, struggling to walk with mutilated feet and grown men crying, but towards the end, she said "Now, you mustn't be too down if you don't manage to do it..."

The Pinewoods

Friday was glorious, really warm and sunny, so we went for quite a long walk (for us, as we were both suffering) through the lanes near the site, and down into the woods. I couldn't physically wear my running shoes, so used a pair of trainers I have that are so old they are practically like slippers. I felt that I was walking on my heels, which must have put more pressure on my calf muscles, as they have been aching ever since.

It was quite good to talk with mum, as we tried to persuade Gemma, the fat Yorkie, that she really did want to run, and Jake that he really didn't want to eat horse sh*t. We walked through the woods for a while;


Me, Jake and Gemma!

Before heading on to the beach. I had to be content by walking slowly along the edge of the dunes, and gently up and down them...

I shuffled down into Wells in the afternoon on my own- should probably have rested really but hey- then we took the dogs out on another little walk later.

Saturday we went out on another walk along the lanes in a vain attempt to tire Jake out for the journey home... I guess I must have walked a fair bit over the four days, although very slowly and on my heels...

The toes are still very tender, but feel quite a bit better (had a good old blister pop last night...) I may try to pull on the running shoes very soon and try a wee stroll; it is driving me nuts doing nothing!! I have the Bullock Smithy in three weeks time...

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?