Monday, September 01, 2008

 

A Busy Weekend!!

Last week was a quite good week, training wise- a 41 mile week!! I got the 10 miler in on Wednesday night- shock, horror, the new Brookes got a little dirty!! I only went quite slowly and had a loo break but was quite pleased with the result!

Thursday was more gym- 30 minutes running on the treadmill, I felt quite tired but pushed through, popping a 5 minute inclination walk in the middle. Then back to 20 minutes on Brian and the elliptical (hmm sounds like a bad pop group...'introducing Brian and The Ellipticals...' Then the usual strength training- but how come whichever weight machine I leave til last suddenly attracts loads of attention just when I am ready to use it...

Friday was rest and pizza day, but had intended a 16 miler Saturday... however it is that time of the month... when all I want to do is slob around and eat chocolate and do the sloth thing, so was completely lacking in motivation. Stricken with guilt over eating so much rubbish, I did strap on a 4 kgish pack and haul myself up to Swithland Woods to walk through them into Bradgate Park (economics- it costs £2.50 to park in Bradgate and £1 to park in the woods!)

It is about 1 1/2 miles through the woods to Bradgate if you don't get lost and end up wandering aimlessly- suffice to say it was about 3 for me!! It was lovely and sunny, and I did a good circuit of the park, finding the steepest climbs I could to try to prepare my legs for next weekend's Bullock Smithy. I didn't take my Garmin as intended to stick to walking but estimate I did 8 to 8 1/2 miles.

Sunday, the weather forecast gave sunny spells with heavy showers moving in towards the evening- perfect conditions for the 16 miler! This was another route in my 'Long Circular Walks in Charnwood Forest' book by John Merrill, and one I had planned to do for a while. The walk starts in the hamlet of Zouch, just outside Loughborough, and I walked through fields to neighbouring Normanton-on-Soar (friendly cows in the field who just ignored me).

The route soon joined the River Soar, marking the boundary between Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire, and, although the day had started misty, the sun was just starting to break through the clouds- I was naively anticipating a scorcher... I ran through the fields when the terrain wasn't too bad, and my pack was around 5 kg.

The River Soar

Shortly after crossing a railway line, the route again followed the river before turning a sharp left up to Stanford-on-Soar. Unfortunately it wasn't well signed, and I turned left too late, so had to scramble over a fence and bank to the road.


Impressive Railway Bridge

The next stage was along the Hoton Hills, a stretch I did on my 'Barrow Bash' in June; a bridleway that traverses a grassy ridge, with sweeping views over Stanford Hall. As I joined the path, I passed a chap walking his two dogs, who told me to keep a look out for the cherry trees at the top. I managed to run (slowly!!) up onto the ridge, and kept an eye out for the cherry trees. I found them and picked small, sweet black cherries and blackberries to snack on.

I ran the rest of the ridge, dropping down into Hoton and then picking up the road to Prestwold. The route followed a path which snaked through woods before doubling back through a field before heading back towards Prestwold Hall. I think the route had changed since John Merrill last walked it, as I got slightly lost for a few minutes!

As I passed the front of Prestwold Hall, it started to rain- the promised showers had arrived about 5 hours early!

Prestwold Hall And Church

I made my way through the woods and along the road to a footpath running through fields to the Cotes Road- the rain had eased off slightly but returned in earnest as soon as I reached the road, I was alternating running and walking. The final stages of the route followed the canal through Loughborough back to Zouch- you can see the rain in the picture below!


Loughborough Canal
Just after I passed under the bridge in the picture, two narrowboats came towards me, full of folks who seemed to be dressed up as either pirates or convicts. One boat was moving steadily through the water, but the other one seemed to be weaving from side to side... there was a pirate and convict hanging off the side, whooping. As they passed me, I realised that they were headed towards a large clump of overhanging trees- the two 'hangers on' had to scramble along the sides of the boat and dive into the back before they were swept overboard! They were stuck in the trees for a few minutes before managing to reverse and pull out, hitting the second narrowboat in the process. Looked like fun!!


Loughborough Locks
It was raining heavily now, and I ran along most of the canal. When I reach Normanton-on-Soar I slowed to a walk, as I felt quite tired, and realised I was just about to walk into a field full of cows (luckily they all ignored me too!)
The last stretch seemed endless, and I somehow missed the bridge up to the road at Zouch and came out at the other end of the village. I must say, it was a nice route, and would have been even better had it been sunny! My new shoes were absolutely soaked and appear to have turned a funny shade of yellow, and I have a lovely sore patch on my back where the rucksack rubbed...
I am going to have an easy week this week, and taper for the Bullock Smithy; it is absolutely pouring outside, I am really hoping it clears up before the weekend!!




Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?