Friday, September 05, 2008

 

Thoughts On The Bullock Smithy...

Well, it's the eve of the Bullock Smithy, and I am getting rather nervous about it... it's a 56 mile walk, starting and finishing from Hazel Grove in Stockport (or Bullock Smithy as it used to be known- hence the event name). We are allowed 24 hours to complete it, and the organisers have cunningly made the start 12pm tomorrow, so we need to walk through the night.

So, not only is it the longest distance I have so far done, but my first time of walking all night- I am a walking-through-the-night virgin...

Plus, it is quite a tough route with a lot of climbing and some navigational skills needed... the essential items list includes maps, compass (although I don't really know what to do with it!!) a whistle and something luminous to wear (I have a lovely flourescent yellow tabard which I knew would come in handy some day). We head out through Lyme Park, up to Bow Stones, then onto Chinley Churn before heading toEdale, then to Castleton over Hollins Cross, most of the climbing is, I think, in the first 30 miles.

Plus, of course, I think we are going to get very slightly wet... the weather has been atrocious the past few days, and the forecast is for heavy showers and bright spells... all character building stuff hey!!

** Stop reading if you're squeamish** Plus, my two big toenails have decided to give up the ghost and partially come off- the right one more than the left. The right one lifted right up, but is still securely in the nail bed, and is actually rather sore at the corner- b*gger!! On the advice of a guy on the forum, I have cut it right back to a stub and filed it, and will put tape over it tomorrow.

I have loads of stuff such as snickers bars, peanut m & m's etc- great excuse to eat them! I think there will be food at some check points too, but not sure what. I am only taking one water bottle as drinks shouldn't be a problem.

I am off to mark the route on the map and try to have an early night...

Labels: ,


Comments:
Nice! Are you in for 2009? In that case we meet up, John www.mds2009.com.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?