Friday, January 23, 2009

 

Bloody Illness!!

After a good result last week, I've had a much less productive week this week... Sunday I woke up with a sore throat, but as it went off I decided to push ahead with my second back to back 13 miler, so loaded up the pack and made my flask of coffee. The route I planned was a bit of a mish-mash; there was a 5 mile route round the next village in one of my walking books, and I figured I could walk from home to pick this up, and would just add bits on afterwards.

I set the Garmin, and set off along the footpath- it was another lovely day, unexpected after the downpour the night before. Before too long, I came to a path leading off to the left, but looking at the map I wasn't convinced it was the one I was looking for, so decided to press on and take the next path.

Big mistake. The path I took ended at a minor road, which took me to the road I wanted to be on, but much further down- it was the earlier path I needed! I ended up squeezing round a 'private' (oops!) sign and walking back up the road. Once I realised where I should have been, I back tracked across the fields back to my starting point- nearly having my Garmin eaten by an over excited Springer Spaniel!

After retracing my steps back to the road, I crossed it and found a path which followed a dyke in a loop back round to the Ferryboat Inn at Stoke Bardolph. I decided to stop and have my lunch by the river, and ended up sharing it with a load of geese.

The next stretch was easy but muddy walking along the River Trent- just before I needed to turn off, I noticed a nature walk around a couple of raised lakes, so decided a circuit of these would add more mileage. By the time I followed the track back to the starting point I'd done 9 miles, so got out the map, had a coffee and found a footpath past factories (worst bit!) to Colwick Country Park. My legs were aching a little by this point, but nothing major. I mostly walked today with a few short runs. By the time I got home, my Garmin told me I had done 13 miles, so mission accomplished! I then had my training program review at the gym; she got rid of the lunges on the half ball, as I have the balancing skills of a stork with no legs, and I can now do them on the floor... holding 7kg weights... she made me do quite a few of these so she could watch me and it nearly killed me! She has also increased a few of the exercises and added a couple more for balance (called Superwoman!) calves and shoulders. I had been increasing the treadmill and ellipticals anyway so she told me to continue with these.

I rested Monday, and felt rough again when I woke up Tuesday so had a fairly easy session in the gym. Well, when I say fairly easy, I mean 30 minutes on the elliptical at a high resistance and the training program...

Wednesday I woke up feeling even rougher with another sore throat- so did nothing (apart from work obviously- but this blog is about training!!) I went to see a mate who's just had a back operation Thursday so did nothing again apart from scoff a chinese.

I still feel a bit bluerrgh today, but thought I'd better make the effort, so threw on a 2 kg pack and headed out for my hill run. I did the same as last Friday- up to the top of Arnold Lane (hilly) over the other side and back up. Only with a slight twist, as instead of running straight back home I turned round and fast walked back up the steepest climb again.

Tomorrow I am going to try to pretend I'm not turning 39, and will probably need to go out and do something to mark the occasion or help me forget, and will no doubt have to fit some training in there somewhere too...

... roll on the taper!!!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Hi Steph Happy Birthday ,I hope you don’t mind me making comments , I’m just interested in the training you have been doing .If I’m going to make any more comments because I know a bit about you from your blog I thought I should tell you a bit about me. I have been running for 13 years, up till recently mainly road ,but last year I decided to see how far I could go off road ,I came 3rd in the 40 mile Coventry way and 8th in the first 56 mile xc London to Brighton race . This year I’m in the High Peak marathon 42miles in March, and in June I’m going to have a go at the Bob Graham round 72 miles and 42 lake land peaks. Next year I’d like a go at the 145 mile Birmingham to London canal race. Has you can see not quite as mad as you but still mad!
 
Hi Shane, thanks for your comments, what you have done is very impressive! I have done the Coventry way and you did really well to come 3rd!
I think doing the Bob Graham Round would be fantastic, best of luck with that! Would love to hear how you get on with the events you have planned.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?