Sunday, January 04, 2009

 

Happy New Year!!

The first thought in my head as Big Ben chimed in the New Year was not 'I wonder what this year will bring?' or 'Where's my glass' but- 'Oh my God. I am running the Marathon des Sables THIS year!!!'

I am so worried I haven't done enough. I expected to be running around 50- 60 miles per week at this stage but I am not... mainly because all the advice I have read actually suggests focussing less on mileage and more on quality training sessions...

I am going to have a good think about the kind of plan I will need to make for the final few weeks. Oh, and work out how I am going to cough up the money for the last installment due on the 10th...

I actually had a lovely start to my New Year. Carol contacted me about doing a long walk New Year's Day as she was staying at the Sherwood Forest Center Parcs. I have an old route description from the 26 mile 'Major Oak Walk' I took part in around 12 years ago (God that seems a long while!!!) so we met at The Royal Oak in Edwinstowe.

The route went past the Major Oak, and through the forest to Hazel Gap. I had loaded my rucksack to around 7 kg, the heaviest ever, and although I didn't get any shoulder pain, I felt it in my legs. I started off in walking boots as I expected it to be very muddy, but it was surprisingly good underfoot. Although rather grey, the weather was good- cold but dry.

We walked through Clumber Park, where I changed into my running shoes as I could feel some hot spots in my feet. Much more comfortable, we walked back into the forest and then had a break for lunch and coffee (a luxury we are not going to get in the Sahara!) It was good to be walking with someone else, and share the worries about lack of training etc, but came to the conclusion that most folks will be having similar concerns. We also felt that the race is going to be as much about discipline, organisation and getting systems in order as actually completing the distance and I am going to have to do some serious work on this!

After crossing open country, we came to Cresswell Crags, where a massive new visitor's centre is being built. This is a ring of caves surrounding a lake, which were used as shelter by prehistoric man; several artifacts and cave drawings have been found here, most things were shut but it would be a good place to come back to for a better look around.

I had a bit of a heartstopping moment when we entered a field by a sign saying 'Beware bull and cows with calves' but there were no cows! There was quite a bit of road walking after, passing a deer park full of white deer. It started to get dark, and we were gradually heading back towards Hazel Gap; although the route description took us a different way through the forest and back into Edwinstowe, we decided we would retrace our route from here to avoid wandering lost in the forest.

After reaching Hazel Gap vis a rather muddy rutted track, I confidently set off down a track straight opposite. It was now getting very dark, and after a while we realised that the track didn't look at all familiar, and was taking us somewhere completely different! We retraced our steps, put head torches on and found the right path. It was eerie walking through the forest in the dark, and I was so glad I wasn't alone... we missed the path by the Major Oak (my fault again! 'Oh yes, this is definately the right path...) but realised that the path we had taken would take us back into Edwinstowe. In all I'd say we did 24/ 25 miles, so a really good day.

I am going to have a serious think about what I am going to be doing for the next few weeks; I think it will have to involve some long back to back walk/ runs...

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?