Thursday, February 12, 2009

 

The Big Freeze...

Great. It's snowing. Again!! How on earth am I going to do tonight's hill run without breaking something, probably my neck!

I am so knackered at the moment... there are now only around three weeks of good quality training left before I need to start to taper... where the f*ck did those last two years go!!?!? So far, since last Thursday, I have done;

Nothing last Friday as it was little sis's engagement party (unless preparing mountains of food, tying balloons and dancing count!)

Saturday I strapped on the pack and did a 7 mile walk with a bit of jogging thrown in for good measure. And discovered that there are toilets in Colwick Park!! Then I went into the gym and did my new weights/ core regime plus 40 minutes run/ walking on 5% and 10% inclines on the treadmill, and 20 minutes on the stepper. This is a weird machine. It consist of a track which folds into steps, and you have to keep stepping onto the newly formed step, once you've managed to mount the thing! I daren't take my eyes off it or I'd fall off!!

Sunday I cobbled together an 18 mile route- from near Cotgrave along the canal to Kinoulton. There was loads of snow around, and I cursed myself for not taking my camera. The path along the canal was packed snow- not too difficult to walk on but not suitable for running. When I reached Kinoulton, I carried along the canal to Hickling and back to add in three more miles. I returned through Cotgrave Forest but got a little lost! The snow was quite thick here, but good practice for the dunes! Hopefully...

Monday saw me back in the gym- again- usual weights/ core stuff plus a tough 30 minutes on the ellipticals (up to resistance level 18).

Tuesday- 8 mile run... tried to push the pace a bit as I wasn't wearing a pack, and had some short faster bursts a la Fartlek.

Last night- gym again- weights, core and 3 mile run at 2% incline- my least favourite as it's so-o-o boring!! I went on the other stepper machine for 20 minutes and set the resistance quite high...

And tonight was supposed to be hill running... it appears to have stopped snowing but has settled and is no doubt turning slushy and slippy as we speak (or rather, I write and you read...) I feel as though all I do at the moment is go to work, eat tea, train and go to bed! I know it's the last push and won't be for too long, but it's taking its toll!

I am going back to Wales next weekend with some of the 2009 MdS'ers, the aim is to get a couple of decent back to back walks/ runs in. I am thinking of going to stay with my big sis the week after (I'm off work) and doing some good walking in the Lakes! I feel I need a bit of serious mountain stuff...

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?