Sunday, March 22, 2009

 

One Week To Go...

... This time next week I will be in the desert, preparing to start the 24th Marathon des Sables!!

I am one week away from starting the greatest adventure of my life so far... so- do I feel ready? I can't honestly answer that. It doesn't seem real... it's as though it's happening to somebody else, not me. I just can't visualise it at this moment in time...

I always expected, at this stage, to be able to run 20 miles without stopping, and pound up hills like they are nothing- but I can't. Could I have done more training? Undoubtedly. But I also had a job, a social life, a family and the stress of moving and fostering out Lucky... so all I can say is that I have done the best I could.

I am one week away from finding out if all the hours spent in the gym, the long walks through rain, wind, snow, sleet and mud, the time spent running up and down hills, the hours on the feet, walking 26, 30, 40 and even 50 miles in one day, maountain walking in the Lakes through cloud, and the times I made myself just get out there and train even when I really didn't feel like it and everybody else in the world seemed to be sitting down with a hot cuppa sheltering from the weather, has all been enough...

Labels:


Comments:
Good luck next week!

Found your blog by searching for photos on Ridgeway 40. It's a very nice read!
 
I am totally in awe of your bravery. The very best of British luck!
 
Steph, it is exactly all those miserable experiences in the worst weather and underfoot conditions that'll carry you through the MDS. If you feel like quitting, just think at least it's not -5, windy and muddy!
All those LDWA's under your belt, you'll do just fine. I'm supremely confident you'll be showing off you'll medal in 2 weeks time. If you ever feel rough, just take an extra 10 or 20 mins rest at a checkpoint, eat a little and leave when you feel better. The clock is on your side in the MDS, you could rest up for ages at every CP and still get in before dark. Enjoy it!
Rich
 
Good luck Steph, can't tell you how much I admire what you're doing. Whatever happened to the girl who used to avoid PE??
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?