Saturday, May 02, 2009

 

Rough Week!

This week really hasn't gone too well. The pulled muscle injury is a little better but is taking an age to heal. The only way I've been able to sleep is propped up on pillows, and it still wakes me during the night. I really sympathise with anybody who's ever broken a rib, that must be far worse!!

I also developed a cough- which made things difficult as coughing was extremely painful! I still struggled into work everyday, and it has been a struggle as since Wednesday I have also felt like crap whole body aching, really tired, absolutely no energy... funnily enough I've been better in the morning than in the evenings, and have had no energy to do anything other than lie on my bed after work.

I went to my GP yesterday and he said almosr exactly what I expected him to say... yes I pulled an underam muscle- it's got to get better on its own- take painkillers and see him again if it's no better in two weeks, the cough and feeling crap he attributed to a virus ('virus' in GP speak I think means 'Well, we haven't really got a clue what it is and certainly aren't going to give you anything for it!)

It was the same GP who signed off my medical certificate, and he did then say that I had put my body under enormous strain during the MdS and it needs a good rest! He advised me to take it easy for the next month, and gently ease back into training, maybe doing stuff that 'mere mortals' (his words!) would do...

I know that makes sense! I saw the practice nurse who does ironmen when I came out his room and I was telling her about the MdS- she did say that the usual advice for resting after a marathon is one day for every mile- which makes for nearly a month (although experienced runners can get away with less) So- let's see... my first ultra... so that would mean no exercise until the first week in August!!

Seriously- I will give my body an easier ride this month, and then start to build up to the Robin Hood marathon from the beginning of June- got to be a bit sensible I guess, even though I do still have easter eggs left...

Labels: , ,


Comments:
You've got over four months so take it easy.

Get well soon.
 
Hi Andrew
Thanks a lot, getting there now I think! Just getting a bit impatient!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?