Sunday, August 30, 2009

 

18 1/2 Miles & A Twisted Ankle (Ouch!)

The Robin Hood Marathon is two week's today... and I haven't done anywhere near enough training really. Don't get me wrong- I have done some- in fact I have done great training for a half marathon. It's just a shame I'm doing the full one!

I an attempt to redeem myself I set out on my last long one before I taper today. I planned a route along the River Trent from Gunthorpe beyon Fiskerton and back along fields and the river- I reckoned it would be about 18 miles and was pretty much spot on.

I parked up at Gunthorpe and set off along the river;


Near Gunthorpe

Trouble is, I was dying for a wee and this stretch just wasn't very private- if there weren't other folk walking and anglers there were gliders constantly flying overhead! Not to mention cows with bloody massive curving horns- luckily indifferent, but I didn't dare chance a photo. I finally found a handy line of trees and emerged just in time to be overtaken by a much quicker runner- I'm sure it must have been obvious where I had just been...


The River Trent

I followed the river to Hoveringham, Hazelford Ferry and Fiskerton- it was cloudy but dry, and not too hot. I had packed everything in my bum bag and actually managed to run most of the way apart from snacking and picking my way over rough ground. I am definately happier running cross country than on roads!

Past Fiskerton the path becomes quite uneven, but just after 9 miles (I was using my trusty Garmin) I turned away from the river down a bridleway. I had a bit of a fright, as my right ankle turned over and I felt that sickening pain all runners must dread for a few seconds, but it wore more or less straight off.

Unfortunately the wind had picked up and was predictably against me- that always happens to me! I reached Fiskerton again and was so hot I couldn't resist the lure of the pub and nipped in for a cold lime and lemonade. The lady who served me said "You look as though you've been running!" and asked me how far I had ran. When I looked at my Garmin and told her just over 11 miles she looked rather shocked!

Boosted by the lovely cold drink I set off into the wind and decided to take a path across fields I'd taken before to cut out the uneven river path. Unfortunately the footpath went across a ploughed field, and I had to stumble and pick my way back to Fiskerton Locks.


Fiskerton Locks And Wier

When I got back to Hazel Ferry I decided to take a bridleway running parallel to the river for a bit of variety (I was getting a little bored of the river!) It is a well maintained bridleway but as I was approaching Hoveringham my left ankle twisted under me and I felt the sickening pain again. This time it was much worse, and although I walked for a bit the pain didn't completely go. I still had another 2 1/2 miles to go by this point so had no choice but to continue.

I jogged and walked through the village back to the river, and succumbed to the ice cream van, so walked alongside the river whilst I ate. I decided to take a slow jog back to Gunthorpe, which I figured couldn't be that far- a good measure that you are approaching civilisation is the people you meet coming the other way- if they have dogs and wellies/ walking boots you still have a long way to go. If they have kids or are not at all dressed for walking you are getting nearer. If the kids get younger, or are on bikes, civilisation is just around the corner. If they are eating ice cream, you can relax cos you have made it!

I was glad to see Gunthorpe as I was feeling some discomfort from my ankle at this point, and reached the car as my Garmin displayed 18.6 miles- I didn't want to try to push it further.

I have had a soak in the bath and unfortunately my ankle is a bit swollen and painful when I walk, which is a b*gger as I can really do without an injury at this stage! I have followed the RICE rule- I have iced it, put a support bandage on it, kept it raised and will rest it, and just hope for the best...

Labels:


Comments:
Very good distance.

I liked the Walkers / Families / Children - Distance analogy. Very good I shall have to remember it in the future.

As for training, this week has been a little slack, but I'm itching to go this week. Need to get running as the Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon is only two weeks away !!

On the plus side we have the andycrafts 10mile walk in the Peak District this weekend.

http://www.andycrafts.co.uk/Walk.html

However, I did find out yesterday that the Waltham Winder has been cancelled for this year, which is a shame.

But it does mean that I can get some Overtime in that weekend.
 
Your ankle will be alright to run on in 7-10 days if my experiences of inversion sprains are anything to go by. You're doing all the right things, take it easy.

Rich
 
Thanks both, I think the ankle is ok now, I rested it last week and had no probs yesterday. It's fine today too.

MB, hope the andycrafts walk went well, I will have to check your blog. Shame about the WW this was one I was planning to do.

Are you doing the Ponton Plod? It's near Grantham, on Sunday 20th Sept I think.
 
Not this year, as we have entered the BHF Chatsworth Challenge (12 miles of easy walking).

Hopefully we can take all three dogs this time, and not just the one.

The Hills & Dales was very tough (check out the Blog for the photo's and Dilly's account), took us 2 hours longer than the Derwent Dambuster.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?