Monday, September 07, 2009

 

Taper And Traumas...

... The traumas being my nerves and the fact that I am supposed to be running 26.2 miles on Sunday and don't feel anywhere near ready...

I have been studying the route; we start off at Victoria Embankment, run into the City (loads of crowds!) up to the Castle (hills!) then to Wollaton Park (big climbs) and eventually reach Holme Pierrepont (huge lake). On some parts of the course, we kind of double back so you get to pass runners coming the other way who have gone much further than you.

There is a sweep vehicle, and if this passes you then you are 'strongly advised to retire'. There is the option of continuing, but you would be classed as a 'pedestrian' (what an insult!!) and they can't promise to keep water stations etc open. The time the sweep vehicle finishes is apparently 5 hours 44 minutes, so I need to be quicker than this!

On the plus side, I mainly cross trained last week and my ankle seems ok (touch wood). I had a hen 'do' Saturday night; we were meeting at my friend's sister's house in West Bridgford before taking taxis into town, so I had the bright idea of parking up nearby, getting a taxi from town to home at the end of the night so I could have a wee drink and running back to collect the car next day.

Unlike some of my ideas, this one worked quite well (apart from a bit of a hangover at the start). I had only done 8 miles when I reached the car so decided to run on a bit, reaching Holme Pierrepont which is a Water Sports centre with a massive rectangular man made lake. It's very popular with cyclists and runners (plus people in boats!) but it seems a b*ggering long way round- plus the wind always seems to be in your face coming back down the other side. This is part of the marathon route and comes at around the 21 mile mark so I imagine it will seem even longer then...

I did 14 miles in all yesterday, wasn't going to go that far but got carried away at Holme Pierrepont. This week will be a taper so will be quite an easy week, thank god, give me chance to have a bit of a life!

Labels:


Comments:
Well you'll probably be surprised at how quick you will do it in.

Just keep going and if they class you as a Pedestrian, so what.

The Hills & Dales is very good (and good value too), just don't expect a quick time, lots of food on the course (although the meal at the end was top notch for it's size) and bring the gaiters.
 
Forgot to add my name.

Doh !
 
Good luck this weekend Steph. Nice and steady, aim to do the last mile at the same speed as the first, so take it easy at the beginning. You want the first 10 miles feel easy. Dig in and keep going when it gets tougher at the 20 mile mark. Make sure you eat something earlier rather than later so you don't hit the wall.
 
Thanks a lot folks, useful tips Rich and thanks, I am going to take it nice and steady.

I heard that the Hills and Dales was very muddy! I might look into this one for next year.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?