Thursday, February 25, 2010

 

Another Overdue Post!!

 Another over due post... life seems to be a bit hectic lately what with training and trying to find somewhere to live!!

Although training hasn't been great, I have been doing some for Saturday's Belvoir Challenge. I have forced myself into the gym and out in the countryside- Saturday 13th February I covered 17 1/5 miles; I walked my usual route to Stoke Bardolph, and this time turned left alongside the River Trent, bypassing Burton Joyce (not completely... I needed to take advantage of the public loos!)

 
Gunthorpe Bridge

There is the option of taking a bridleway instead of following the river, a lane running a straight course compared to the river's meandering one, so I followed this, rejoining the river further up.
I followed the river under the bridge and past Gunthorpe.


 
Gunthorpe Bridge

I stayed with the river for a while longer before cutting across fields to the village of Caythorpe and back to Gunthorpe. As I made my way back to Burton Joyce along the river, it started to rain but luckily didn't come to much. This section of the river is quite attractive and I saw a bird of prey (buzzard?) near Burton Joyce.
 
Looking Across The River To Sheldon

I reached Stoke Bardolph again and joined my usual route by the Lagoons. I was feeling pretty tired and my legs were aching- not a good feeling considering I'd still have another 10 miles to go in the Belvoir Challenge!!
Last Saturday I got out for a 13/ 14 mile route, around Stoke Bardolph and Colwick Park, quite local and easy. I made myself run quite a lot of it and actually felt quite strong- hopefully a good sign!

This week I've been tapering really- just a shortish run Tuesday and I am putting off going to the gym at the moment so will get into gear as soon as I finish this cup of coffee!!

We've had just enough rain lately to make the Belvoir Challenge nice and muddy... the route is now on the site; there is a shorter option of 16 miles, and it looks as though both options follow the same route through tracks in the woods for the last few miles, so by the time I get there it will probably be a quagmire!!

Here's hoping I can do this... bit worried as I haven't done that distance for some time and the mud is bound to slow me down! Hope everyone else has a great weekend.

Labels:


Comments:
Good luck on Saturday!
 
Well the last decent distance I walked was 17miles in November, so tomorrows 26miles is going to be very tough.

Fingers crossed for us both.
 
Thanks Andrew, hows you?

Hi MB I think you will be fine- you have done lots of long walks last year so it will be a lot easier than you think as you are used to spending hours on your feet. Hope you are going to take photos as I bet it will be scenic.

I'm a bit worried as the Belvoir Challenge is going to be very very muddy which will make me even slower than usual... my fingers are crossed for us both.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?